Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Story from Hell!

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by haujobb, Jun 23, 2005.

1. haujobb

haujobb

Dec 16, 2004
    Wallaceburg
    I had the worst experience a musician can ever face recently; My drummer recently moved, his moving date was actually for June 1st, on the 1st he goes to pick up the last bit of stuff, including half his drum kit and my bass rig, and to clean up. When he walks into his apartment the place is empty, there is bags of cloths and food in the garbage and our stuff is no where to be found.

The next day we meet up and try to track down his landlord, we have no luck but do find out where we can track him down the next day. I give him a call, introduce myself and ask if he knows where my stuff is, his response is "Talk to your buddy..." This goes on a bit more and I say "Listen, if you don't have my stuff I need to go to the police station and file a police report because it's stolen, so do you have my ****ing stuff?" Finally he admits to having it so I ask when would be best for him for me to come get it, once again he says "Talk to your buddy." At this point I'm pissed, so I ask him again, now he gives some lame excuse about damages to the apartment, now I'm really pissed so I say "You know what, this isn't about you and him, its about you, me and **** that belongs to me, I don't know what ****ing legal grounds you think you have, but I'm coming to see you today and if my stuff isn't returned I'll be coming back with the ****ing police you *******."

So I go along with a bunch of people who we are gigging with that night, and go pick up my drummer. I decide that since I'm so young, it might help to have my dad try, so I call my dad to talk to the guy in person instead of me and he gets the same response. So I meet with my dad at the police station and talk to some cops, the cops tell us to lead them to the guys house. When we get they're one cop goes in, the other takes our names and asks our side of the story, 45 minutes later the cop comes out and gets my drummer and the other cops. Another 45 minutes and one of the cops comes out, tells us well have our stuff shortly and goes back in, 30 minutes later we're allowed to get our stuff.

The funniest thing about this whole situation, is the is a 40 year old doctor and he didn't even know that he couldn't keep legally keep our stuff, one top of that, he is trying to make my drummer pay $700 in damages when he had already payed $300 and a washer and dryer. When we got the list of damages, it had outrageous claims for damages such as $100 for drywall to fix a hole that is only there because the drywall was cracked to begin with. He also wanted 200 dollars to paint one room, and another 150 dollars for cleaning, even though landlords are required by law to do these things between tenants.

Sorry, this is getting kind of long, just wanted to vent about how much of a dick this guy was...

2. Wow, that would've been scary, I would've freaked if somebody had taken my rig. I probably would've gone to the landlord's house with a bat and a few friends but that would probably end up worse.

Atleast you have it back anyways.

3. Chiba

Chiba

Mar 11, 2005
    Imagine going to your drummer's house on the eve of your first ever headlining gig...

...to find all the entrances to said house sealed with POLICE LINE DO NOT CROSS lines and tape over every door & window marked with ACTIVE INVESTIGATION DO NOT REMOVE UNDER PENALTY OF LAW.

Yeah.

Good stuff, good memories. Ah, 1992.

--chiba

4. AuG

AuG

May 22, 2005
    Fort Collins, CO
    My brother got the same run around when he moved out of his apartment. The management of the property fabricated a list of 'expenses' that had to be paid before he got his security deposit back. So he said keep the security deposit. :D That's what it's there for. Also, compose a professional letter addressed to the landlord that challenges those charges, 150$ is in no way an acceptable price for cleaning a house, much less an apartment. Painting a room only takes 2 hours MAX...at 40 dollars an hour (which is top pay) 200$ is just a load of crap. Just do your homework about tenants rights when leasing and your buddy should do alright. Most landlords/property management like to make up lists like this to try to get extra money, they figure that they'll get some sucker for everything he's got and then some. Tell your drummer friend he is in no way responsible for normal 'wear and tear' from his time of occupancy. I'm surprised the di**head landlord isn't trying to make you guys pay for replacing the carpet,which is illegal to even attempt, as they are responsible for replacement after every 4 tenants. If you want I'll get a copy of the letter my bro wrote to his landlord and you can base it off of that. Pm me.

Oog

5. fenderx55

fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    NYC/Queens
    bro that sucks...

and that's the reason why i'm never moving out of nyu housing. no matter what year i graduate. no matter how many times they ask.

6. haujobb

haujobb

Dec 16, 2004
    Wallaceburg
    There is no carpets in the apartment, thank god, because it probably would have been on top of the list, he actually lucked out because his father is a Landlord and has taken care of this guys claims.

As far as the whole baseball bat thing, when I went to pick up my drummer I had to make him leave the bat at home, we both agreed that it would just make more problems than we needed...