1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Story of Unknown Maker

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Doc Kurt, Feb 22, 2021.

1. Doc Kurt

Doc Kurt

Feb 22, 2021
    I have had this particular bass for a few years. It was gifted to me because the original owner dug it except for one thing... it's a lefty.

I asked him the brand and he had no idea because he bought it at a pawn shop for $100. So my quest to find a manufacturer leads me here. There are no numbers, badges, it other identifying markers. It screams Ibanez except for pickups and body.

Would anyone be able to point me in a direction to find the maker? I have been calling her Jane Doe for years. I appreciate the help.

Attached Files:

EatS1stBassist likes this.
  2. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    Is it set neck?

You should post more pics from more viewpoints.

3. arbiterusa

arbiterusa

Sep 24, 2015
    San Diego, CA
    Not an Ibanez. Gotta feeling somebody made that - and did a nice job of it - in their garage/backyard workshop.

4. Doc Kurt

Doc Kurt

Feb 22, 2021
    Sure. Here are a few more. Let me know if there others that may help.

Attached Files:

Volker Kirstein likes this.
  5. arbiterusa

arbiterusa

Sep 24, 2015
    San Diego, CA
    Looks like a Wishbass, but built by some someone with access to tools and decent wood, instead of a pocketknife and garbage.

That bridge is really unusual. I wonder if this thing is Japanese.

6. Doc Kurt

Doc Kurt

Feb 22, 2021
    With no badges or numbers it is hard to tell.

7. Reedt2000

Reedt2000 Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    I also tend to think is was home made, though it looks like it's well done. If there are no distinguishing marks on the neck or body, what about inside the control cavity?

8. arbiterusa

arbiterusa

Sep 24, 2015
    San Diego, CA
    Impossible and I suspect it will always be a mystery. I would pull out the pickups and have a look inside the control cavity to at least see if there's any numbers or country of origin markings on anything. I suspect that's as close as you're going to get to figuring out what it is. Best of luck.

Doc Kurt likes this.
  9. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Australia
    Possibly an Ibanez neck adopted to a one off body.

10. Doc Kurt

Doc Kurt

Feb 22, 2021
    Some cavity shots and a couple of the bridge as well.

11. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    Absolutely not Ibanez. And it looks too "factory" to be a garage build.
    There used to be a bunch of those on ebay from a very low-cost Chinese manufacturer, like those you find on Aliexpress. Hence, no name, serial number, etc.
    I believe the hardware is Wilkinson (or Song-Il, same manufacturer) but the pickups are generic humbucking soapbars. Looks like it's passive, 1-volume 1-tone for each pickup.
    Is it heavy?

fishdreams and Solarmist like this.
  12. Doc Kurt

Doc Kurt

Feb 22, 2021

Attached Files:

13. Doc Kurt

Doc Kurt

Feb 22, 2021

14. Doc Kurt

Doc Kurt

Feb 22, 2021
    Super heavy

15. Doc Kurt

Doc Kurt

Feb 22, 2021
    That's cool. I appreciate it.

16. arbiterusa

arbiterusa

Sep 24, 2015
    San Diego, CA
    All I can tell you after seeing that control cavity: not Japanese. For a certainty.

Obese Chess, Reedt2000 and Doc Kurt like this.
  17. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    Yep, Chinese manufacture.
    Tiny pots, questionable wiring, no shielding, sloppy finish in the cavity.
    I take back my comment about the hardware being Wilkinson, as I think this isn't at that level.

But don't let me discourage you. If it is solid and feels good, that's most of the way there. Upgrading electronics and/or hardware can be done at any time and for a reasonable investment. The body looks solid, could be oak or a variety of ash. The real tell is going to be the neck.

SpazzTheBassist likes this.
  18. mmbongo

mmbongo Regular Human Bartender Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    The cavity makes it clearer: homemade.

Obese Chess likes this.
  19. Doc Kurt

Doc Kurt

Feb 22, 2021
    The neck is straight. I put up some pictures of it previously

20. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    Missed those while I was typing.
    I'd say in all it's a good platform that is worth better controls, wiring and possibly pickups. Or play the snot out of it the way it is. But I'm 100% certain it came from a Chinese factory and isn't handmade at all.

fishdreams and Doc Kurt like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 2, 2021