1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Strangest Rig you've ever seen

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bighead Kid, Feb 25, 2008.

1. Bighead Kid

Bighead Kid

Jun 2, 2007
    I'd have to say and Ampeg 8x10 cabinet with their 250 watt head. I laughed because that head barely powered it. I had this massive cabinet and this tiny little head.It was at my church and they have an amazing setup but this made me laugh.

2. The strangest rigs I've ever seen were all my own. I don't even want to go into it. Let's just say that you can make just about anything work in a pinch.

3. A guy in some band we played with a while back went through this thing:

DSCF0119.

It was a 410 cab on a 115/210/28 cab. All being driven by a Behringer head + power amp of some kind. I've got no idea what brand the cabs were.

It sounded as ugly as it looked!

4. how does a 250 watt head "barely power" a cab?

5. Annnnnddddddddddd we're off!

:D

6. 7thbass

7thbass

Nov 21, 2003
    Houston, Tx
    I had a working mans 12 combo, worked great but not very loud. My guitar player ran across a homemade 1x12 bass cab that had survived two floods and weighed over 80 lbs. I swear it was made out of 4x4's.

I took a line out of the WM12 into an Adcom 200 watt amp (I think it was the RFA 2 home stereo amp from the early 80's) into the home made cab.

Took it to a gig without trying it out at home, as I was feeling lucky. A few puffs of smoke and a seriously overheating Adcom later, I was cooking with gas. After an hour the neighboring restuarant shut us down, as the bar thought we were an acoustic band.

I won't say it sounded good, but it was loud.

7. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    How about let's don't and just say we did? ;)

8. My 100w V4BH powered an Ampeg SVT810E cab BEAUTIFULLY last yr at a festival. Sounded AWESOME!!!! A fair few use a SVT3PRO thru an 810 also- sure they're s'posed to be 450w....but... ... I think a LMII or F1 powering an Ampeg 810 would LOOK funny, but sound darn good.

9. arbitrary

arbitrary Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2005
    Boston, MA
    This weekend I used my Berg. NV610 with my newly acquired F1. It was awesome; looked funny, but sounded damned good!

10. Excellent to hear. I got a NV610 & a LMII -only used 'em together Once - sounded good . Didn't give a toss about how it looked tho. ;-) was at our "jazz" band gig- where I play EUB & Bass GTR. I LOVE the LMII for EUB, with my Aguilar GS112 &/or GS115!!
    Sorry don't mean to derail.......

11. amos

amos

Oct 23, 2003
    SE Portland Oregon
    Ahhhhh.... the convenience of the tiny Markbass F1 and and its miniature counterpart the Bergantino NV610 :bag:

12. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    I walked into a music store in Vancouver in the late 70's and there was this montrous rig of Heil cabinets with white molded horns. Apparently, the rig belonged to Fred Turner of Bachman Turner Overdrive. It was so big, it was clear it was meant for show and bug stages.

13. arbitrary

arbitrary Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2005
    Boston, MA
    I had just received the F1 and wanted to hear what it could do. It do well!

14. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    Although I haven't seen (or heard) them together yet, I just picked up a used Phil Jones 9B to put under my Orange AD200. Between the orange tolex and the 9 teeny 5" drivers painted silver, it's gonna look like quite the mutant, but I believe it'll sound excellent. I had fallen in love the accuracy of PJB cabs before but was never able to coax enough volume out of a pair of suitcase extension cabs (even with 500 watts)-it was Tom Bowlus who suggested that a tube head might slap those tiny cones around like they deserve, and I should find out this weekend.

15. sublime0bass

sublime0bass

Aug 2, 2007
    Boone, NC
    goliath 3 sitting atop a Fender 15

nice "stack"

16. wingnut

wingnut

Apr 18, 2007
    Las Vegas Nv.
    The strangest thing I ever saw was this huge guy with a fender mustang bass. He was playing it through a marshall JCM 800 guitar amp that was powering a cerwin vega 24 inch speaker! What's even stranger is that for the style of music he was playing it worked just fine!

17. Bryan316

Bryan316 Banned

Dec 20, 2006
    Detroit
    I'm dying to know... what style of music a Mustang -> Marshall -> CV 24" rig, would work?

18. nysbob

nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    Those Heil horns were great as long as you didn't care about anything over 3.5 K. The lack of sibilance made them instant headache material for mains. :scowl:

19. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Let me know how you like it! Here's a shot of one of my similar experiments:

140_4081.

That rig sounded great!!! :bassist:

20. I had to run a mig 100 (100 watt guitar tube amp) into an SWR 810 while touring, because my other tube amp fell apart on me. It sounded fine. I actually started recording this way while with that band.