strap button placement mistake?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bon viesta, Feb 21, 2021.

1. BassToGoGo

BassToGoGo

Jul 14, 2018
    To me it's simple...

If you hold your bass in an (almost) upright position (without straplocks) you will learn the difference quickly.

2. Aloe

Aloe

Apr 10, 2016
    Ukraine
    the button location and direction is totally okay. spectors have a strap button parallel to the neck and I haven't heard anyone complaining. Warwicks sometimes have it even facing up (they come with straplocks though, but personally used one without them and everything was okay.

3. smogg

smogg

Mar 27, 2007
    NPR, Florida
    I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell
    Yup, you have completely ruined the bass. Ship it to me and I will see that it is properly disposed of for you.

legalbass and bon viesta like this.
  4. themickster

themickster

Oct 4, 2015
    England
    Maybe the screw is on the sosh to run through the grain rather than between and make the horn split.

5. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I like 5, 8, 10, and 12 string basses
    The Middle of the horn is where I would want it to be on my basses

DSCF0928.jpg

6. bon viesta

bon viesta

Dec 10, 2020
    something to notice about WHY this strap button placement is ever so slightly problematic is the fact that jazz basses are offset, meaning you now have two strap buttons working against each other as one wants to tilt one way while the naturally sits a little differently.

7. HalfManHalfBass

HalfManHalfBass

Jan 21, 2003
    Pointing the strap button slightly down prevents the strap coming off, but when using strap locks this isn't such a concern.

I put mine on at a consistant angle by putting a piece of masking / painter's tape on the front face of the top horn. Then, using a long metal ruler pointing to the 5th fret, draw a line down the middle of the top horn onto the tape.

I then remove the neck and try to drill the hole for the strap button screw at the same angle drawn on the piece of tape.

8. Samatza

Samatza

Apr 15, 2019
    Australia
    ^^This is the reason. If you use strap locks which you should it’s not a problem.

I always install strap locks, a guitar player once asked me if he should install strap locks, I said he should, it’s cheap insurance. He thought about it for 12 months and finally asked me to install them after his Strat came off the strap and hit the ground cracking the paint on the lower bout.

So refinish and new strap locks and he hasn’t had an issue in 25 years.

9. fretno

fretno

May 10, 2009
    Nashville
    I install mine like this as well .

10. DanAdams

DanAdams

Nov 3, 2013
    Maine
    The worst offender... The otherwise wonderful and under appreciated Westone.
    unnamed.jpg
    Straps just fall off when you're not even moving.

murphy likes this.
  11. roborend

roborend Supporting Member

Jun 10, 2012
    Rock Island Illinois
    I think you guys are missing the bigger picture here, ergonomics is one thing but which strap pin position/angle/depth and diameter will yield the best Tone?

bon viesta, legalbass and murphy like this.
  12. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Columbia, MD Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    It looks fine to me.

13. Eon Sky

Eon Sky Supporting Member

Jul 7, 2013
    Pacific Northwest
    Huh. I'll take things I never really paid attention to but now notice for $500, Alex.

IMG_9442.JPG

14. superiorpine

superiorpine Superiorpine Gold Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2007
    Milwaukee WI
    IME the back strap pin location is more important with balance. It can be moved a number of inches. The front one, not so much.

15. christpncher

christpncher

Mar 25, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    i agree with the OP that a pin angled toward the neck is better. i think the question is if this placement is standard for Warmoth?

16. HalfManHalfBass

HalfManHalfBass

Jan 21, 2003
    Warmoth don't drill for strap buttons. It's for the end user to drill and decide.

As I said in my above post #27, the strap not pulling off is the main objective here.

17. christpncher

christpncher

Mar 25, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    well that explains it