strap button placement mistake?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bon viesta, Feb 21, 2021.

1. bon viesta

bon viesta

Dec 10, 2020
    on assembling my warmoth bass, the strap buttons were drilled in without much thought. middle of the bridge on the body, and middle of the top horn. wait... middle of the top horn?? uh huh. i notice now that every single image of a jazz bass has that horn strap button slightly pointed towards the neck, and i see why. it would sit a bit more comfortably. whoops, huh? anyone else have this odd strap button placement? just wondering.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2021
  2. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Pics showing your concern or, you’re still a master luthier.

3. bon viesta

bon viesta

Dec 10, 2020
    nothing that bad at all. not really noticeable just something i thought i would share for the heck of it.

Attached Files:

4. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

There may be some physics involved in the strap button placement too. I have no idea. I can say that neither strap buttons on my Dimension (2014) nor my Precision V (2010) have ever come loose. I check them often and have gigged them both a couple o’ hundred times.

5. bigtone23

bigtone23

Dec 10, 2014
    Denver, CO
    I have looked at my basses, many have buttons slightly tilted towards the neck, yet some have straight-out buttons. I don't find one way better than the other as they all have Straplocks on them and my straps never come off.

jd56hawk likes this.
  6. hypercarrots

hypercarrots

Jan 28, 2009
    california
    many 70s fenders have horn strap buttons mounted like this
    1976-fender-precision-bass-natural-2-bz8WoCs.jpg

a few ibanez roadstar lower strap buttons are mounted like this
    usnjm7yzgw7dxderuduy.jpg

FenderOli likes this.
  7. A9X

A9X Inactive

Dec 27, 2003
    ^^ The Roadster would likely balance better. Traditional F placements especially with a flipper of a headstock are just wrong.

8. Haans

Haans Altruistic nihilist Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2005
    Bergen, Norway
    A tilted strap button will possibly withstand the weight better than one that is mounted completely horizontal. That has to do with physics, but I really don't know the terms

Personally I can not imagine how one would be better than the other when it comes to ergonomics and comfort. On the other hand I can not tell the difference between different radiuses or nut widths (well, I can tell that a P neck is wider than a J, but that's about as far as it goes). Maybe I'm just lucky - it makes it a hell of a lot easier to choose a bass solely based on looks!

9. A9X

A9X Inactive

Dec 27, 2003
    I can, because I've done it. The physics is not really that difficult if you think about it.

JRA and Haans like this.
  10. Haans

Oct 31, 2005
    Bergen, Norway
    Sure, I won't question that. I would really like to know how a tilted button affects ergonomics, though. Or rather, which is preferable? A straight button possibly allows for less unwanted movement when playing, doesn't it? Whereas a tilted button would allow the strap to hang in an awkward position either behind or in front of the horn. To be honest, I've never given much thought to it.

The physical strain on the horizontal button is still greater than on the tilted one.

11. A9X

A9X Inactive

Dec 27, 2003
    ^^ It brings the neck higher/ more vertical which also brings it closer to the body in first position which makes for better ergonomics, especially wrist angle. There is no movement difference between them once you get the SPs positioned, and I see no reason why there would be. I've found no strap issues at all and I use wide 3 or 5" straps on everything.

Get some duct tape and try it yourself. Use an old strap attached to the original SPs loosely over your shoulder in case the duct tape gives to save it falling.

JRA likes this.
  12. Haans

Oct 31, 2005
    Bergen, Norway
    Would that be any different from adjusting the strap length or tilting the bass? How?

Anyway, anecdotal evidence to support my (undisputed) claim about the physical strain: I seem to recall mostly having trouble with loose bottom strap buttons (which are usually mounted horisontally), except on my Eastwood Airline Coronado guitar - where the upper horn button is mounted straight.
    75e138b1-76f7-4f62-9fee-0ea843c9cbe9.JPG

bassman10096 likes this.
  13. A9X

A9X Inactive

Dec 27, 2003
    Do the duct tape experiment, it's easier to see for yourself. On that guitar, I'd try the body pin above the Bigsby and the neck pin on the neck plate.

14. Tim Skaggs

Tim Skaggs

Sep 28, 2002
    If you wanted to do it, there’s plenty of wood there to put some upward angle on the screw going in to the horn, (leaving the button pointed slightly toward the neck) but have the screw enter the horn at the existing hole. I would toothpick-dowel the existing hole and drill a pilot hole at the desired angle. You might need to remove the neck to get the drill at the angle you want.

I think the only physics of consequence between the strap button as-is vs. slightly angled toward the neck is that the strap is a lot less likely to slip off if the button is pointed slightly toward the neck. Strap locks would resolve any strap slip issue anyway. It doesn’t appear you would have any problem with it as-is, but that would depend on your physical build and how worn your favorite strap is. It would also depend on whether you do any Vic Wooten antics on stage;)

Last edited: Feb 22, 2021
    HolmeBass, bon viesta and Haans like this.
  15. That’s not a problem if you play with the neck parallel to the floor. But the more upright you hold your bass, the more the strap button is pointing upwards and the more the weight of the instrument will tend to pull the strap off the button. Strap locks are almost never a bad idea.

16. murphy

murphy Supporting Member

May 5, 2004
    Canada
    just plug and glue the hole..and re drill in the better position.....strap button will cover up missing paint chip

Reedt2000 and JRA like this.
  17. deff

deff Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2018
    Gloucester, MA
    I feel like strap buttons were drilled into that position because no one had strap locks back then. You put it on the insode of your horn, so the strape is pulled flat to and against the upper horn. That make sense. With somethin like Schallers you wouldn't want this. You would would want it straight to swing freely and not bind, because it is already locked into position. The strap rubbing against the upper horn would not be a desired effect.

bigtone23, five7, BassToGoGo and 2 others like this.
  18. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Gold Supporting Member

forget the strap-lock issue:

"tilting" the upper horn button and repositioning (upwards) the other one helps to resolve (may cure!) neck dive, and as A9X said: makes for better ergonomics/balance...even if you wear your ax at your knees. don't 'fight' your axes, or at least reduce the struggle, with such an easy modification.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2021
    jebmd likes this.
  19. Bertr

Bertr

May 6, 2013
    I systematically put them at the back, near the tip of the horn. (Like on a SG, but at the back o the horn)
    That way the strap does not twist. I find it much more comfortable and have done the same on strats, Lespauls...
    The only downside is that you can not put it flat on its back on a table.

20. lug

lug Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    99.735% of this effecting the bass will be mental.