1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Straps

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Clydesauce, Aug 3, 2012.

1. Clydesauce

Clydesauce

May 12, 2012
    I was wondering, what straps would you guys recommend. I am playing gigs a lot and have been using those cheap nylon ones and I am looking for an upgrade. I was wondering, what kind is the best for bass playing with a lot of movement, ie. Jumping, swinging, and most of all comfort.
    Would be used on a fender p bass or a string ray mainly.

Thanks

2. placedesjardins

placedesjardins

May 7, 2012
    Any leather strap that is wide. Width promotes better dispersion of weight on the shoulder.

3. jmbjandfam

jmbjandfam Supporting Member

Apr 24, 2011
    Foxfire Village N.C.
  4. Levi's are my fave :D

5. I have used Kepur straps for years. They're 3 or 4 inches at the shoulder and are made from some kind of synthetic material. Those 2 inch $5 nylon straps bit into my shoulder too much. They stay on pretty darn tight so eliminate the need for straplocks IMHO.

I bought mine years ago for I think $15 from MF. They probably still have them.

6. sugarsand

sugarsand

Mar 1, 2009
    california
    I like cheap straps that slide well across your shoulder, nice, wide, leather ones feel good in the store but later at the gig your shirts wrapped around your neck! I did get a vintage rickenbacher strap in the case with a vintage esp guitar purchase. The strap is a half inch wide made of leather and looks like it came from WWII it has a small expanded leather area right by the shoulder, it looks cool and it slides, but I've never seen another, ever.

7. superdick2112

superdick2112 Mile High Bassist Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2010
    The Centennial State
    I have a padded Spector strap for my Spector NS-4 & a few assorted nylon ones, but my favorite strap is a "Sunzeye" model (no longer made) custom built by Eyeland Straps. It has an inlayed glass eye that is illuminated by a blue led, & blinks on & off. Novelty aside, Eyeland hand-builds super comfortable & functional straps using the highest quality materials..

http://www.lmproducts.com/EyelandStraps.htm

8. XtheDeadPawn

XtheDeadPawn

May 24, 2008
    Texas
    I like Neotech SuperBass straps.

Felt so good I threw my Custom www.Minotaur.gr Jemi Hendrix model leather strap in the trash after getting that Neotech. It makes my ATK feel like nothing.

9. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    I got turned on to these on TB, and haven't bought anything else since...

www.italiastraps.com

Great quality stuff!!! They often have a 2-for-1 special going on.

10. XtheDeadPawn

XtheDeadPawn

May 24, 2008
    Texas
    A friend uses them for his various guitars and basses.
    I never tried 'em the price scares me.

11. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    I have 4 of the Italia straps. They are fantastic. If you can buy them 2 at a time it comes out to less than $35 each (depending on the model). That's pretty darn cheap for the quality.

12. http://www.couchguitarstraps.com/
    the deadstock ones are made from unused vintage car interior materials.
    I have a 60's Ford Mustang version, and the 80's mercedes.

13. I find the Reunion Blues merino wool straps to be more comfortable than the wide leather straps I've owned. Also, they are not nearly as sweaty.

14. Ewo

Ewo a/k/a Steve Cooper Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2008
    Huntington WV
    Neotech is my fave, too.

15. Also, I find leather slides about too much, so I prefer nylon. The levi's old fashioned one (the tweed multicoloured one) sticks real nice, and has super tight holes for the buttons

16. funkybass

funkybass

Oct 19, 2006
    Indiana
    Mine too. I had a friend that swore by the comfort strap, but the neotech feels so much better, especially on my 14.5 lb sr5.

17. Clydesauce

Clydesauce

May 12, 2012
    I got this strap today at sam ash for $30 usd. Made for a seat belt. Feels and looks great.

18. iJazz

iJazz

Jan 9, 2012
    Sussex, WI
    Add me to the Neotech chorus. Ultra comfort in dignified black. Can't ask for anything more. Be sure to measure your existing strap from hole to hole. There are two Neo lengths. I prefer the Mega Bass strap, the longer of the two offered and just a bit wider, two.

eBay seller woodwindbrasswind sells them for $30 w/free shipping. Just a satisfied customer pointing you to the best value I've found.

Check the length specs at www.neotechstraps.com

iJazz - Neotech supports that jazz.

19. Not yet

Not yet

Mar 26, 2012