1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Stressing...Big Time

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Spent, Mar 25, 2013.

1. Spent

Spent

May 15, 2011
    Upstate NY
    I've been playing a MusicMan Bongo for the past two years. It's a great bass, but I've never been totally happy with it. I now have the opportunity to trade it, and a couple hundred (yeah, I'm taking a beating), for a new Spector LX4. I have two other Spectors, both Korean, and I love them. I can't justify a USA model, even though I live about five miles from where they're made. I've only ever parted with one guitar (I'm up to 17 of them); I get attached even if I don't play them. I'm trying to justify this by telling myself that I'd rather someone who appreciates it play it rather than it just sit in my basement, but it's not working.

2. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

The good news is that there are lots of Bongos out there. Replacing it down the road shouldn't be an issue unless it is a limited edition Bongo.

If you are sure the Spector will get played, trade the Bongo as long as you don't lose a fortune.

3. FourBanger

FourBanger

Sep 2, 2012
    SE Como
    Agreed, there are plenty of Bongos in the sea. If tou truly miss it you could always pick your least favorite one or two from the other seventeen and trade for another.

You will always find something you like about most basses you try (once you get past the really cheap ones at least) but it sounds like that Spector ticks many more boxes for you than the MM.

4. Spent

Spent

May 15, 2011
    Upstate NY
    Thanks, good advice. I'm getting the Spector for $1476 (it's $1999 everywhere else), which helps justify the lower trade in price for the Bongo. I've decided I'm going to go to the music store and spend some more time with the Spector. Maybe my lack of enthusiasm will result in a better trade, or an extra set of strings.

5. Bassdirty

Bassdirty

Jul 23, 2010
    CT
    another vote for the Spector. ;)

Do it...get the Spector.

and yes, I am a Spector fanboy, Glad I could help.

6. Tunaman

Tunaman

Dec 26, 2004
    Boston
    I love my Bongo... but I just picked up a Warwick Streamer LX LTD 2011

What didn't you like about the Bongo? Mine can do a lot, I like it, although I like my Sterling 5 HH the best by far

7. Spent

Spent

May 15, 2011
    Upstate NY
    I really can't put my finger on it, but I just never liked the tone. It may be that it's too hot, I usually prefer passive pickups and an active eq. I've used it for a number of gigs over the years, but it stays at practice and I use my Spector Legend Classic at home. Every time I pick up the Spector I love the tone. I would prefer not trading it, but the boss (wife), who just bought me a bass for Christmas, thinks I need to thin the herd. Of all my guitars, the Bongo is the one I think I can live without.

8. smcd

smcd

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    You're not really taking a beating. You're trading a 2 year old bass for a brand new bass. The street price of both basses, when new, are about the same. Coming out of this only $200 out of pocket is a pretty fair deal.

9. Spent

Spent

May 15, 2011
    Upstate NY
    It's closer to $500, but I still think it's a good deal. The Bongo is in excellent condition even though its been a working bass. I actually paid $1,200 for the Bongo, so you're right, it is a fair deal.

10. Spent

Spent

May 15, 2011
    Upstate NY
    Well I did it. Just brought the new Spector home. Very nice bass. :hyper:

11. FourBanger

FourBanger

Sep 2, 2012
    SE Como
    Better to have a bass you know you love than a bass you hope to like.

12. Marko 1

Marko 1

Mar 9, 2009
    N.E. Ohio
    Congrats.

13. Spent

Spent

May 15, 2011
    Upstate NY
    Thanks! Unfortunatly practice got canceled tonight, so I'm resigned to trying it out in my man cave. Somehow I think it'll sound good through my MarkBass CMD 102P.

14. superdick2112

superdick2112 Mile High Bassist Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2010
    The Centennial State
    Congrats - post some pics & let us know what you think of it once you've wrung it out a bit!

My EBMM Stingray was my #1 bass for several years - until I got my first Spector Euro.
    ;)

Careful - Spectors can become an addiction. I have 4, and am thinking about adding # 5 soon....

15. Spent

Spent

May 15, 2011
    Upstate NY
    I will post some pics soon. I'm with you on the Spector addiction, this is my third. I have a Korean Legend that I gigged with more than any other bass and an NS2000/5 that I must have played at least 50 gigs with (I'm not a 5 string fan, but it does play nice). I live in the same town as the USA models are made, so someday I may end up with one.

16. I will say the nice thing about music man is even if they discontinue the bongo, Which I don't see as long as John from dream theatre walks on stage with one, ordering a custom bass from Ernie ball isn't much more expensive then the production models. It's not like conklin or Ritter where you could spend 5-10 grand on a custom. You can order a bongo with whatever you want for 2000 or less