1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

String Choice - Changing Genres of Music

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Indy Bass Man, Feb 27, 2021.

1. Indy Bass Man

Indy Bass Man

Jan 27, 2021
    I have always been a rock/hard rock player seeking the Eddie Jackson (Queensryche) / Frank Bello (Anthrax) tone. I’ve been successful at getting that with active electronics and Jim Dunlop Stainless Steel round wounds. Now I am considering a switch in music genres over to a more modern country in the realm of Jason Aldean / Luke Bryan, etc. I love my Ibanez BTB 845 bass and will be keeping it although perhaps not the instrument of choice for country bass players. 35” scale and active electronics pushing Bartolini pick-ups. My question is what strings will tone down my aggressive sound into more of a warmer country tone? Flats, different round wounds? Any guidance and recommendations are appreciated. Thx

2. flojob

flojob Gold Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2011
    I haven't heard a lot of country, but the more modern stuff has been described as "rock light" with a few signature instruments thrown in (dobro, slide guitar, pedal steel). It may be that some tweeks to your eq may be sufficient in the mix. But, you could always try tape wounds or flats. Flats may give you more fundamental/less harmonic overtones, and that may be helpful. I use a set, but it's on a pbass. I think I heard tapes can have a similar feel to regular strings, but a dampened down top end.

tindrum and Indy Bass Man like this.
  3. Jon Moody

Jon Moody Commercial User

Sep 9, 2007
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Manager of Brand Identity & Development, GHS Strings, Innovation Double Bass Strings, Rocktron
    TBH, many of the country bassists that I work with use stainless steel strings on 35" scale active basses.

If I were you, I'd start tweaking the onboard EQ and your amp first. I'll bet you could find a great modern country tone without much work.

That said, going to a nickel-plated string is gonna give you some more low mids and a slightly beefier tone as well, if you wanted to start looking at other options.

4. flojob

flojob Gold Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2011
    Just to add to what this guy said, I did a quick search on aldeans bass player, and it says he uses nickel plated dean markley strings. The pic shows him holding a pbass, but I'd 2nd what he says about eq tweaking.

Indy Bass Man likes this.
  5. Jon Moody

Jon Moody Commercial User

Sep 9, 2007
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Manager of Brand Identity & Development, GHS Strings, Innovation Double Bass Strings, Rocktron
    Yeah, that’s Tully Kennedy (super nice guy, and very active on social media). His main touring basses are Sadowskys.

Bushmaster and flojob like this.
  6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 16, 2021