1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

String Gauge 5 string musicman stingray

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Mr. Berg, Jun 3, 2014.

1. Mr. Berg

Mr. Berg

Jun 3, 2014
    Hi

I'm not a bassplayer but I have a 5 string music man stingray with two humbuckers in my studio.
    I recently had it set up but I need some help with strings.
    I like the one that's one them now and I think they are ernie ball 55-110, sounds and feels good to me, but I want some back up sets so I can start a session with fresh strings.
    I can't find a 5 string set that matches the 55-110 gauge. Do I need to buy the b string seperately?
    If so, what would be the natural b string in that set?

Thanks in advance:)

2. StayLow

StayLow

Mar 14, 2008
    .55 G-string is pretty fat, and unusual.

If you're the owner/producer and others will be playing it, I'd go with a more common gauge (medium is .45)

If you'll be playing it (that's unclear from your post), there'll probably be relevant advice coming up soon...

3. Mr. Berg

Mr. Berg

Jun 3, 2014
    Ah sorry for a little unclear post.
    I'm occasionally using the bass to put down some tracks when the project can't handle a session guy finacially.
    I'm a guitarist so I can handle useable bass parts if their not to advanced.
    I asked for the fattest standard strings available cause I tend to like the sound of fat strings but now I can't remember what I ended up with.
    Pretty sure their 55-110 though.