1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

String spacing on Steinberger headless??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Gintaras, Oct 31, 2010.

1. Gintaras

Gintaras

Dec 11, 2004
    Kent Island, Md.
    Has anyone come up with a way to adjust this. Just picked up a spirit and it would be a keeper if the spacing was wider. (all of my basses are 19mm) Just curious if anyone has every seen anybody do any alterations to the headless bridge so that it was adjustable? :meh:

Also, is there any comparable bass that would have the wider spacing? (I have developed GAS for a Zon Vinny but not in the cards for a few years)

2. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Keep in mind that the neck would have to be wider to accommodate wider spacing. Steinbergers have the narrowest spacing I've ever played, that's for sure.

EXCEPT for the Gibson era XQ-25 5 string that I had years ago. Standard 19mm spacing and the best sounding, best balanced bass I think I ever had. I kick myself for selling that thing (sold it for $650 in probably 1995...now I see one on Ebay for $3000!) but IIRC I was tired of the limitations of double ball end strings. Now I realize the limitation was me and not the strings. Makes me sick, I miss that bass.

Thank you for letting me ramble :) :) :)

3. markkoelsch

markkoelsch

Sep 6, 2008
    I do not think there is any way to do this. The neck is fairly narrow, the bridge is what it is too. If you want a 19mm spacing a Steinberger is not for you.

I think I need to go play my Steinberger Elite...and I got it for $425 :D

4. Gintaras

Gintaras

Dec 11, 2004
    Kent Island, Md.
    thanks for the response. Not actually looking to get it to 19mm but getting it a little wide. It seems there is some room on the neck for width.