1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

String tension too high

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by rito25, Nov 2, 2010.

1. rito25

rito25

Oct 10, 2010
    Ok, I recently replaced the strings on my Yamaha RBX 350 with GHS Tapewounds, according to my brother there is too much tension on the neck, and is causing it to bow at the top. My brother says that detuning would fix it, but his who idea doesn't make a whole lot of of sense and I don't want to change the tuning as I play along with CD's. Should I have the bass adjusted so it can work safely with the new strings, or should I dump the GHS strings and put back on the old ones which didn't seem to cause an issue. I really like the new strings as they work better for slides which I do a lot of but I value my bass more.

2. Well since you like the tapewounds I would just have the bass setup to accept the strings. GHS tapewounds are a little heavier than a standard set of strings (.50-.105 as opposed to .45-.100 or .105), so the neck with definitley have to be straightened out a little bit.

3. rito25

rito25

Oct 10, 2010
    So how do I that? My brother is good at doing basic repairs.Or do I need to go to a luthier and have them fix it?

4. OOZMAN

OOZMAN

Jun 16, 2010
    Australia
    Tighten the truss rod dude.... if you don't know how, don't try; take it to a pro.

5. rito25

rito25

Oct 10, 2010
    I know what the truss rod is. The weird thing is according to my brother, its only starting to warp at the top of the fret board, the rest of it is pretty straight.

6. RestInPieces

RestInPieces

Jun 14, 2009
    Well it's not THAT hard to adjust the truss rod, you'll find information from this so called intrawebz. Just don't go apepoopie crazy, only tighten a little bit at a time, something like 1/6 or less, and observe closely how the neck is reacting. It's not nuclear physics.

7. harmendebresser

harmendebresser

Mar 11, 2010
    the Netherlands
    Endorsing Artist: Höfner, Pyramid Strings, Dr. No FX & Asterope cables
    Jimmy McMillan would say... Too DAMN high!
    Or, get Rotosound TruBass strings - low tension (but larger gauge).

8. rito25

rito25

Oct 10, 2010
    Hmm? I actually don't know if the neck needs adjusting, I got the bass used. Are GHS high tension or low tension?
    The bass feels fine, and plays fine. Any suggestion to check it?

9. Staccato

Staccato Low End Advocate

Aug 14, 2009
    Alabama
    This is true! However, it should be handled with a step-by-step procedure! Yeah, it sounds like surgery. :D

However, learning which way to turn before cranking/turning is important! And, I'm with the majority that say no more than 1/4 to 1/2 turn per day of the truss rod-per day is very, very important. In other words, if your bass needs 1 1/2 turns of the truss rod, it should take days to reach that point with several adjustments. A foot long straight edge or ruler should help greatly in 'sighting' the neck for further adjustment(s).

What many articles do not mention is adjusting 1/4 turn, waiting a few days, and adjusting again if necessary! "If you've got a long way to go, say a half inch, it might be wise to adjust, then let it sit for a few days, then adjust again. It's like jacking up an old house, do it slow and you have a much lesser chance of breaking anything."

Make sure you are turning in the direction needed, not the wrong way!

10. rito25

rito25

Oct 10, 2010
    Know, I heard checking height of the strings by pressing down on the 1st and 17th fret and looking at 7th and 1st and 12th then looking at the 7th. Which do you guys prefer.
    Also I assume I have to detune the strings, adjust the truss then bring them back up to tune correct?

11. OOZMAN

OOZMAN

Jun 16, 2010
    Australia
    Check the height by pressing down on the first fret, and pressing down on the strings above the pickup area 'till they touch the highest fret, then look at the distance between the 12th fret and string. A good distance is about a credit card width; if you stick a credit card in there it should go in with a small amount of resistance. This is much easier if you capo the 1st fret... or have 2 people. Keep in mind when doing this, that all strings should be the same distance to the fretboard, otherwise you 'board is bowed, therefore f****d

I've never heard of having to detune the strings before adjusting the TR, I've never done that and my basses are fine. But YMMV. I suppose if you're strings are already tight, when you tighten the TR they will become tighter (higher tuned), so it couldn't hurt to do that too though, I guess. :D

12. rito25

rito25

Oct 10, 2010
    OOZMAN I think it is fine.

13. dannster

dannster

Aug 20, 2000
    Seattle,WA
    The old saying "if it isn't broken, don't try to fix it" comes to mind.

No harm in learning how to do simple adjustments on your bass however.