1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

String tension...

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by bassyeah, Mar 11, 2009.

1. I'm looking for suggestions on finding a string with more tension. I use (GHS Boomers 105-45) and do like the strings. Trouble is when I D-tune and especially when I tune the whole bass down a half step (E flat-G flat)... it just gets kinda smooshy! I was thinking of trying DRs (round wound hex core) but wanted to hear any suggestions.
    I do like round wounds... :help:

Thanks

2. come on...

3. Dfinch

Dfinch

Dec 27, 2007
    Portland, OR
    My understanding on string tension is that it's based primarily on gauge, so going to higher gauge strings will increase your tension.

Again, as I understand it, hex core strings aren't higher "tension", but are higher *stiffness*. This can feel like higher tension but the force on the strings is the same for a given gauge.

That said, I gained a noticeable improvement by going to DR Lo-Riders (hex core) on my drop D 4-string because the stiffness helped overcome the drop in tension.

Hope that helps.

4. that does make sense... the mushyness is the problem and stiffness would probably better describe what i am looking for... thanks

5. Mr. Ray

Mr. Ray

Feb 20, 2009
    Canada
    Even though the gauge is the same, how they are wound and what they are made of effects the tension...that being said Rotosound Stainless Roundwounds 45 to 105 are a little tighter tension or try the Billy Sheehan signature set 43 to 110.

6. Have you played the lo riders to compare?

7. I use 50 / 70 / 90 / 110 gauge SIT Powerwounds for DGCF ... feels fine to me.

8. markdavid

markdavid

Jun 29, 2007
    I tune DGCF using 110-50 Rotosound rounds and am finding the same thing , the strings feel a little loose (especially since the Daddarios that were on it previously were like bridge cables) I am thinking of either finding a .115 set of strings or getting some 110-50 Lo Riders as they are meant to be high tension

9. BullHorn

BullHorn

Nov 23, 2006
    Israel
    GHS suck. :<

Anyhow, DR SS Low-Riders are very tense. :)

10. I ran across the boomers by mistake... getting my bass set up and that was all he had. I liked the way they sounded and played. Now I'm in this band that does a lot of drop d tuning and eflat... so started my quest. I'm going to try the lowriders soon and see if that makes a difference. I have tried 110s and didnt like the larger guage.
    I had wanted to try the SS hex core anyway to have a less bright string and was told that would do it.
    thanks for the input-

11. I was in a similar situation as you are in now and I went on a little string hunt. I've tried DR High Beams (round core), Sadowsky black label and blue label stainless steel (hexcore), and Elrick stainless steel (hexcore), and out of those 4 I'd say that the Elrick strings have the highest tension. I liked their tension but I think I like the tone of the Sadowsky blue label strings better.