1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Strings best suited for fast playing metal style

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Kjarkas, Oct 2, 2010.

1. Kjarkas

Kjarkas

Feb 14, 2010
    I'm sure this has been discussed before, I did a search before starting this thread...

What strings do you recommend for fast playing, let's say songs like Damage, Inc., Fight Fire With Fire, etc. I heard Cliff Burton used Rotosound 66LB 35-90 gauge, but that was a long time ago (R.I.P. legend, still got respect for the man). So far I heard Ernie Ball's Super Slinkies can get the job done, but I just wanted to get some more feedback before making my decision. These will be put on a Dean Edge 10a.

2. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Medium gauge 45-105 or lighter. Roundwounds. Set your basses action as low as possible without getting excessive fret buzz. Just as with guitar, lighter gauge makes for easier fretting and thus better ability for fast playing. Just like with guitar, very low action makes for easier fretting also making for easier fast playing. Other then gauge concideration and action setup, what brand of string wont make a diff to anything but sound tweak.

3. EdHunter

EdHunter

Jan 14, 2010
    Dublin
    Roto rounds. Flats work as well (as shown by the king of metal bassing) but for a proper metal tone, a set of broken in Roto SM66s are ideal.

4. Shmone

Shmone

Feb 16, 2009
    Israel
    The only reason I can see for needing different strings for metal is if you are playing detuned, if that is the case, you might want to try some heavier gauge strings for that. other than that its a matter of personal preference, I wouldn't use flats for metal but any strings combined with low action should work.

5. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Edhunter is wise. Lol. Rotosunds are my fave strings, very suitable for metal and electronica. Ernie Ball would good good choice if your wanting your bass to have a tad more crunch. Rotos dont add to or subtract crunch factor as the comparrison, whereas some string do detract from crunch imo.

6. Metal Mitch

Metal Mitch

Jul 14, 2003
    NJ
    Gauge doesn't matter, tension matters. The gauge should give you stiff enough tension in whatever tuning you are using. Personally, I find Lo Riders to be the best metal string. But they're not available in gauges suitable for downtuning.

Stiffer tension minimizes excessive string flap, allowing better control of the attack tone when fast picking. It also allows for lower action without buzz, but action is a secondary concern. Controlling fingerstyle attack with the right hand is more important.

7. I haven't tried them myself yet, but Circle K offers strings that are designed for drop tuning. The tension is nice and balanced and can be anywhere from very low to very high, depending on what gauge you choose.

8. jbrady

jbrady

Sep 23, 2009
    I use Tru Bass 88s to cop a decent Harris tone :bag:

9. mmbongo

mmbongo Regular Human Bartender Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Higher tension strings like DR LoRiders are what you want.

10. How are Knuckleheads? I am looking for a a decent string too.

11. Chrisk-K

Chrisk-K

Jan 20, 2010
    AZ, USA
    I once put 30-90 gauge Hi-Beams on a bass. I could play Yngwie licks on the bass.

12. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    Circle K's are my string of choice. Last forever and the balanced tension is extremely comfortable.

TS,

The strings you like are the best strings. If you don't know how to EQ with your bass and amp, you'll sound like garbage regardless fo what strings you have on the bass.

13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 6, 2021