1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

strings for a pbass

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Ryanrocksursock, Mar 4, 2008.

1. Ryanrocksursock

Ryanrocksursock

Jan 17, 2008
    so i recently got an American pbass i love it! the stock strings on it are pretty nice but im looking to replace them. the stock strings come with a 110 e thats taper wound i whould like to keep that gauge, but there hard to find. im thinking of expirementing with dr strings so here are my questions

-whats the difference between high beams and low beams
    -can i string them threw the body
    -will changing from the 110 to a 105 be a big difference in tension
    -how long do they last

2. jmcdan3

jmcdan3

Aug 27, 2007
    Strings for a Precision??? Labella Deep Talking Flats....HEAVY HEAVY Gauge!!!! Just do it and you'll never come back!

3. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Jul 30, 2007
    Southern Maryland
    Luthier: Rickett Customs...........www.rickettcustomguitars.com
  4. Flats. You'll wonder why you never tried them in the first place.

5. Fetzu

Fetzu

Sep 6, 2007
    Tampa, Florida
    Chromes ECB82 50-105, Strung-through here.

6. D'addario chromes here too on the P. 40-90 are nice & responsive compared to many flats I've tried. Good for funk even!! Sound super on the precision

7. Equin

Equin

Aug 20, 2007
    Los Angeles
    I really want to try La Bella flats, but I'm strung with chromes right now and lovin' it. my jazz band mates don't understand why i never change strings..sigh.

8. joelb79

joelb79

Mar 22, 2006
    Lansing, Michigan
    To answer your question, the string that comes factory tapers to a 60 at the bridge. So the bridge saddle is much higher than normal and will probably require a drop if you dont use the factory strings anymore.

As for what you should put on them, my recomendations are as follows:

For Ultra bite and growl, DR High Beams
    For a smoother growl and more mids, Sadowsky Bright Nickels or DR Lo Rider Nickels.
    And my personal favorite which offers a smooth tone with nice deep lows and full mids:

D'addario Chromes, 45-100 set. Just perfect for me.

9. Ampeg SVT

Ampeg SVT Son, I am disappoint.

TI Jazz Flats

10. TunaCaserole

TunaCaserole

Feb 13, 2008
    I agree, of course I use them on my SX-P, but they do sound great.

11. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    Fender 7150 pure nickels :hyper:

12. Surly

Surly

Feb 2, 2007
    South Florida

How do the above roundwounds differ from the factory ones in sound?

Anyone ever try Ernie Ball slinkys, they're great on the Stingrays.

13. If you want a fat sound with not much bite (less than you have now), go for some flatwwounds as other suggested before.

If you want a sound simmilar to the one you now have, try nickel strings,

If you want more bite, try stainless.

I have a P-bass, it's pretty much my favorite one, I keep coming back to it over any other bass I have or had.

I have tried a lot of strings on it over time, and recently I found an old package of fender strings on the bottom of a pedal bag, it's the one you probably had stock with the 110 taper E. Man do I love those strings on that bass, they sound very even and have just the right amount of definition.

I would advise against high-beams tho, these strings are very scooped in the mids, pretty much the antithesis of what a p-bass is about, they tend to get lost in a band setting.

Again it's my preferences, just find yours.

Anyway, on P-basses, heavy gauges work the best to bring out the natural tone of the bass, so a 110 set is a very good choice.

14. Surly

Surly

Feb 2, 2007
    South Florida
    I have to say the stock ones 45-110 do work well, lots of tone and bite! I trust Fender on this one.

15. spectorbass83

spectorbass83

Jun 6, 2005
    canada
    Don't mean to hi-jack the thread, but what about if you're tuning to Eb Ab Db Gb and Db Ab Db Gb ?

Would a 110 gauge be good? I doubt there are a lot of strings with a thicker gauge out there for a 4 string, right? I reckon the 110 should be fine.

Comments? Suggestions?

16. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin'

Nov 22, 2004
    Deep E Texas
    +1.

I now have strung up all four of my Fenders (fretless J, single-coil P, fretted and fretless split-coil Ps) with them, and a friend liked them so much he strung up a Squier J and a Gibson Les Paul Standard bass with them, and THEN ordered TIs for his g**tars!

17. DavePlaysBass

DavePlaysBass Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2004
    CO
    I like Fender 7250s on my 50s P. They are pretty much the same string as stock on the US ones but they string at the bridge and go 45-100. I have tried several other strings and the 7250s are my favorites.

18. Surly

Surly

Feb 2, 2007
    South Florida
    I've been thinking of trying flats but I love the cutting sound of a P with rounds. Someday!!

19. jonnychicago

jonnychicago

Mar 20, 2006
    Chicago
    hey joel,

i'm trying to get some good audio of flatwounds. does any of the playing in your band's myspaces give a good representation of those strings on a P?

20. whoapower

whoapower

Jul 14, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Just making sure this was said. Has a great live and recording tone.