Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Strings for Madagascar

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Jazz Ad, Oct 2, 2004.

1. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

There's this guy collecting used bass strings and distributing them to local bass players who can't afford them at all.
    Basses strung with bike brake cables are not uncommon, nor are unfortunate 2 string bass players.
    Madagascar is one of the 5 poorest countries in the world and still maintain a very active musical tradition.
    Guitar strings are welcome too.

Please save your old strings and send them to

Alliance Française
    To : M. Jacques Bounin
    BP 916 Andavamamba
    101 Antananarivo
    MADAGASCAR
    email : dgac@iris.mg

Thanks for them.

2. Acephalous

Acephalous

Jul 10, 2004
    Paris
    Very very very very very very very good initiative.

What are you waiting for, guys?

3. Yeah, admirable initiative. Make this a sticky post!

4. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger

Sep 22, 2005
    yeah, i'll be sending some off soon. good cause.

5. ahh so THIS is what you were talking about!

This is a better idea, then!

6. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    Stuck.

7. Theonestarchild

Theonestarchild Artfully lost

Aug 23, 2005
    North Carolina
    Alright. I've gotta say, this is a worthy initiative. That said, perhaps instead of shipping 4 or 5 strings per package, would it be cheaper to send them all to Mr. Paul, perhaps with 3 or 4 bucks, and he buy a big box, and send 50 pounds of strings at once? Because I'm pretty sure we could all cover the shipping to him, plus a few bucks. I have a set of strings that granted, while ratty, still play alright. I'm getting new boomers tommorow, so Paul, if you say ok to this, I'll send 'em to you to start off the big bulk package, or I'll just send them to the address listed. Either way, great initiative. Just passing along ideas.

8. How much will it cost to send them from Europe (Netherlands)? I don't have a lot of cash either, but I still think I might contribute.

9. basste

basste

Oct 8, 2003
    France
    I think it will not be so expensive.
    In france, to send a 4 strings kit, i paid 2 euros and few cents...

10. Wow this is cool. I have at least 10 sets of exchanged strings. Don't know why I kept them. It's one of those " .....they might become useful some day".

That day is today!

/P

11. I have a drawer full of old strings... is it o.k. if there are fewer g's than e's,a's, and d's?

12. jdombrow

jdombrow Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    So, has anyone done this from the states? What did it cost to send them? I have a huge collection of used strings I'd like to get rid of.

13. Same here. What's the shipping like?

14. ollybarclay

ollybarclay

Dec 14, 2005
  15. gingerbeer

gingerbeer

Jan 9, 2005
    sent 4 set of 4 strings the cheapest way :"economic" it cost only 4,60 euros .not so expensive for such a nice cause .

16. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger

Sep 22, 2005
    Okay, just put together a box of about 10 sets, waiting for a new set of strings this week to add one more, and she's off. :)

17. lol, i used to be into the habit of keeping strings when i used to play bass all the time. but when i switched to playing guitar mostly i ended up thinking "this is insane keeping old strings i will never use ever". i used to boil strings too but not nowadays. :meh: in the future i might save some sets but it isn't like i go through a lot of sets of bass strings

18. Is this guy still collecting?

19. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    I would also like to know. I just replaced some strings and want to send them, but need to know if it's worth it.

20. I tried emailing the op, but his address bounced.