1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

strings for Stingray?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by air_leech, Sep 10, 2008.

1. air_leech

air_leech

Sep 1, 2000
    Israel
    hey,
    I'd like to hear what Stingray owners use to get the most out of thier SRs.
    personally I think steels dont sound good with the SR (or any other active bass).

2. what about STRingray strings? :D :D (i had to!!!)

3. scottbass

scottbass Bass lines like a big, funky giant

Jul 13, 2004
    Southern MN
    I used to use the Ernie Ball Slinkys, but then I tried a set of DR Sunbeams, which are nickel roundwounds. STINGRAY HEAVEN! I use Med Lights: 45-65-80-100. They lose some of the brittle highs (and fret squawk) while still maintaining a roundwound brightness. YMMV

4. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    Ernie Ball Hybrid Slinkys. :)

No matter how many times I've tried other brands, they're still my overall favorite for a 'Ray. In a close second (but for a very different sound) are D'Addario XLs, which IME sound great on pretty much ANY bass.

For a while, I was sketchy on the brightness of Slinkys until I had started doing my own setups and adjusting my Stingray to my personal preferences. A good setup (and a tweak or two if changing to different strings) is essential for getting the best sound your bass can deliver with any particular set of strings.

5. DudeWheresMy182

DudeWheresMy182

Jun 23, 2004
    Milwaukee
    Dunlops are surprisingly good for my tastes on my 'Ray.

i liked them better than the Hybrid Slinkys i had on before.

6. Sparkdog

Sparkdog Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2006
    Burbank, CA
    Another vote for the D'Addario XL's. I went through a couple of sets of Ernie Balls when I got my first Musicman. I liked the sound and feel, but they were completely dead within a month.

My dealer recommended the XL's to me as a good replacement that sounded similar but would last far longer. That was right on the money. I change mine every few months.

You can get them in the same gauges as what comes standard on the MM's (45/65/80/100) but if you have a Ray that suffers from weak output on the D and G strings...a common complaint, my current Ray doesn't have this at all :) you can also get the XL rounds in medium gauge.

That set is 50/70/85/105. More tension in this set (which I prefer, but not everyone does) but you get considerably more beef out of those top strings.

7. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    I have had great luck with D'Addario XLs on an SR5. Lasted about 3 weeks where I was playing them extensively and needed good tone for many different styles.

I usually don't like XLs on other basses -- on the SR5, they were a winner!

8. buffordbass

buffordbass

Nov 11, 2004
    Dallas
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amps, Lakland Basses
    my vote goes to the DR Sunbeams as well. That's what is on her right now!!

9. I've always used EB Super Slinkys on mine for no particular reason. I haven't done much experimenting with this bass for strings, but the super slinkys have always seemed like a good fit.

10. wazzel

wazzel

Dec 27, 2007
    Houma, LA
    On my SR5 I was a long time D'Addario user until I tried the DR low riders. Love the tone and feel of the low riders.

11. CElton

CElton I'm a new note finder...

I love the tone and feel of Regular Slinkys on my SR5. My only gripe is they just don't last as long as I would like.

12. Im going through a test of strings for mine. So far I have tried Hybrid Slinkies, DR Sunbeams ( best so far) next I will be trying Hi-Beams.

13. EarlSandwich

EarlSandwich

Nov 13, 2007
    I have D'Addario Chromes on my Stingray. Flats on a Stingray (or anything) seem pretty uncommon, and I was dubious at first, but the more I use them, the better I think it sounds.

14. mobax

mobax

Dec 31, 2002
    New Baltimore, MI
    I like TI Powerbass.

15. bobunit

bobunit I'm here. Now what? Supporting Member

Jul 15, 2008
    Idaho
    On my 79 Stingy and my SR5 I use EB Slinkys. They just seem to work for me and are reasonably priced.

16. Jonyak

Jonyak

Oct 2, 2007
    Ottawa, Ont
    I used to use the eb slinky's, but at one point I broke the d string 4 times in a row, once in concert and I went to the d'addario dtrings... I liek them.

17. Lucas G

Lucas G

Jan 14, 2007
    masury, OH
    on my bongo and SUB i use slinky's. started with supers, have moved on to regulars. they are cheap enough, feel really nice, and i think they sound nice.

18. mdiddium

mdiddium

Jun 21, 2004
    Philadelphia, PA
    For a long time I was using Ken Smith stainless steels and really liked them for the bite. I just recently decided to put on TI Flats since a friend of mine gave me his old set, and wow, what a great tone. As someone said earlier, it's unexpected and perhaps a lil unusual, but I'm loving the flats on my Stingray 5.

19. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    I like the semi-tight tension and broken in sound of Elixirs on my SR5.

20. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    My (pre EB) Rays sounded best to me with either GHS Brite Flats or Ken Smith Rockmasters.

jte