1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Strings Height

Discussion in 'Ask Patrick Neher [Archive]' started by reuvenholzer, Oct 21, 2013.

1. reuvenholzer

reuvenholzer

Oct 21, 2013
    Hello Mr. Patrick Neher.

First, let me introduce myself. I am an "old" amateur , just started again to play after 25 years.

I have just got back my old dB from renovation and there is a technical issue I would like to learn about.

I bought a Tomastick "bell canto" set of strings and currently my bridge setup is too high and pressure of the G string below the octave level becomes difficult (pressure needed by the finger).

Since my bridge is not adjustable, I will have to process the wood myself. So I need some reference points before I start.

I wonder, can you recommend a preferred string height (about the second octave of the string)

My current setup is:

G 8.5 mm
    D 10.2 mm
    A 11.5 mm
    E 13.5 mm

My dB is 3/4 in size

Best Regards

Reuven Holzer

2. HateyMcAmp

HateyMcAmp Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2006
    Denver, Colorado
    You might want to try this question in the setup/repair section.

3. PNeher

PNeher

Mar 31, 2005
    Bellingham, WA
    At the end of the fingerboard, I like 5mm at G, D, A, and 8mm at E. Your fingerboard MUST be perfectly aligned to the arc of the bridge (and visa versa!). Also, a lot depends on the thickness of the strings. I use a MUCH thinner string set: Pirastro Permanent and Savarez Corelli Medium.
    Best!
    PN