1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Strings that have completely changed your bass?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Fine Cut, Jan 16, 2012.

1. my goodness, i'm all giddy inside :hyper:

i've been a "dead rounds" kind of guy for a long time now. infact, my OLP has worn the same set of XL nickels for approaching a year and a half now. i've always enjoyed settling a new set of rounds into that "sweet spot" where the bite falls off and they get nice and thumpy. i briefly tried a set of Fender 9050ML's (the old style) on a '94 P bass i owned for a short time, but i couldn't get used to them; i was after roundwound overtones back then, and the Fenders seemed very sticky and slowed my right hand down considerably. The only practical use i found for them was on my VM jazz, tuned to drop C whole for recording purposes.

a few months ago, i decided to try and locate another set of the old Fender 9050's for a second shot. what arrived in the mail ended up being a set of the new 9050's, which i understand to be manufactured by D'addario. They've sat in my gig bag until today, when i decided out of boredom to throw them on the OLP...

...and they're brilliant! from memory, these are a completely different animal than the old 9050's i tried back in '07. they're fast, articulate, fairly bright, but with a certain deep presence i've distinctly faulted this bass for NOT having since i bought it! the thing that's really getting me is that they seem more comfortable under my fingers that the XL's. i feel like i just brought home a brand new bass and can't stop fiddling with it :bassist:

2. Andy_D

Andy_D

Nov 28, 2009
    Corpus Christi, TX
    Squir VM Jazz. 1st change was installing an Audere JZ3. Big difference with lots more tones. 2nd change DR Fat Beams. Need to cut way back on the treble and high mids because they are so bright but now I have nice phat lows AND I can get a nice slap tone as well WITHOUT having to re-adjust my EQ. Sweet!!!

3. 760m La Bella "Jamerson" set. They only arrived a few days ago so the honeymoon period isn't over yet but all I can say is wow. I finally have a G with thump on it after playing for eleven years. To me this is "that" tone that I've been looking for ever since I started.

First off these strings are huge (.052 .073 .095 .110). Took me an hour to set up the intonation, action, etc, but afterwards everything was smooth sailing. The tension is a bit extreme but it helps that I play in Eb.

G string. Thump. Finally.

PS. They broke the nut at the E string but still sound perfect. :p

4. Root 5

Root 5

Nov 25, 2001
    Eh!
    I concur that the Labella 760M set are lovely strings. But my favourite strings are the GHS Precision flatwounds. They're my "desert island' string of choice.

5. ExaltBass

ExaltBass Gold Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2006
    Twin Cities, MN
    No contest for me... Sadowsky Flats! Thump, and a full tonal spectrum...

6. Root 5

Root 5

Nov 25, 2001
    Eh!
    That's nothing. I had a set of rounds on a bass for almost 20 years! They sounded nice and dead - just the way I like them!

I've heard it often that Fender strings are manufactured by D'Addario. I think it's a myth. Many people think so because the "Chromes" flats are similar to the latest Fender flats.

7. mophead

mophead Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2004
    Texas Panhandle
    Had a 99 MIA Fender Jazz ash/maple a few years ago. I bought it used and it appeared to still have the stock strings on it. Had a guy set it up for me, before I knew how, and he said I should think of a new set of strings down the road.

I put a set of DR Fatbeams on it and was amazed at the difference. Since then I have tried several different brands on several different basses but I cannot remember a bigger change and change for the good than the Fatbeams on that Jazz.

8. GHS Pressurewounds on my Atkinson P-bass with ToneStyler. Amazing.

9. Zoa

Zoa

Dec 28, 2009
    DR Sunbeams. Night and day compared to D'addarios.

10. Andy_D

Andy_D

Nov 28, 2009
    Corpus Christi, TX
    I should have added TI Jazz Rounds. I bought an MTD Kingston Artist with these on it. Never played them before or the bass with other strings but they feel and sound amazing!

11. dedpool1052

dedpool1052

Jan 10, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    i had a set of D'addario XLs on my fender HRP for about 4 years before i changed them. they were completely dead. i put a fresh set of DR HiBeams and the bass came roaring back to life. been using DRs for the past 3 years or so. i really like'em. people here have been talking about how good the sunbeams are. i'll have to give'em a try next time i change strings.

12. dang! is it wrong that i aspire to settle into one set of strings on one bass long enough to be able to say this one day? :smug:

13. spaz21387

spaz21387

Feb 25, 2008
    Portland oregon
    dr neons

14. PBnJBassist

PBnJBassist

Mar 8, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    Went from D'Addario XL Nickel Rounds to GHS Precision Flatwounds. Just going from rounds to flats, regardless of brand, is enough to completely change your bass (sound-wise).

Also, from my experience from just flatwounds, any of the chromed flats (D'Addario & Ernie Ball) to the Stainless Steel flats (Fender, GHS, La Bella) are very different (to my ears). A lot more thump & thud with stainless steel flats and more mids and bite with the chromed flats.

15. When I bought my Jazz Bass it had a set of GHS Precision Flats on it. To my ear they were a horrible match for a Jazz Bass but I love flats on a PBass so the set I took off will find a home on a PBass later this year.

I put a set of GHS Pressure wounds on and what a world of difference. With the flats it was almost as if the tone knob was inoperative. What I really like about them is I get nearly the same tonal expression out of the bass that I'd get with rounds but with less string noise and better feel.

Fingerstyle I can go from a very smooth round low end with the tone cut back and more neck pickup all the way up to a very bright and punchy mid and top end just rolling in more treble and more bridge pickup. The strings have a lot of presence. Not at all muddy. Played with a pick they can become very punchy and percussive.

I can honestly say that I've never restrung a bass and had that much of a difference just pop out at me immediately. It's a great string for my style of play.

16. Finbase

Finbase

Oct 12, 2010
    Espoo, Finland
    R Cocco Stainless steels. They really cut through in the mix. They seem to have a slight boost around 1,2kHz, which makes them sound a bit "rough" in your bedroom, but when in a band...

17. Naxn

Naxn

Dec 19, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Custom set from Circle K. A pleasure to play at lower tunings.

18. bigalbass

bigalbass

Dec 12, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    I love the sound and feel of TI Jazz flats on my 72 P Bass!

19. BassBob1

BassBob1

Dec 21, 2010
    All I can say is my jazz is a different animal with SS rounds than it is with flats. I really liked the DR lo-riders I was using for a few weeks but missed my Chromes. I need another jazz bass :D