Stripped truss rod

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Skoti, Nov 18, 2017.

1. Skoti

Skoti

Sep 29, 2016
    Tampa Bay, FL
    Just aquired a new NS Design Radius WAV bass, not the better built CR but still a descent bass. Made two 1/8" adjustments on the truss rod and then, it just spun. No popping or snapping sounds. I've been setting up my own basses for years and am always mindful as to not let this happen. So my luthier pal/tech is going to call the company to see if they'd be willing to work with us. Worst case scenario I was thinking about notching the tool access to allow a regular screw driver (a tool typically found in most countries) to fit the truss rod adjustment. Any thoughts or other suggestions? thanks

2. vaesto

vaesto

Jun 21, 2010
    Hi,
    From NS Design site: "Conveniently accessed from the top of the neck, the heavy-duty aluminum double-action reinforcing truss rod, with its patented differential thread drive, gives both rigidity and precise relief control."
    I guess only the producer of patented part may be able to fix it. Although, I see little to no option they will agree to fix the rod. Most likely they will propose a new neck.

P.S. aluminium truss rod has a reputation being not reliable. Look through warwick owners posts...

Skoti likes this.
  3. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

Are you sure this isn’t the issue?: If it’s dual acting, there will be a point in the middle of its range where the nut is loose and the rod isn’t acting. Loosen it more and it will snug up and induce back bow. Tighten it and it will snug up and induce relief.

4. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru..........

Apr 11, 2006
    Out there!
    Well, I just scratched NS Design CR Radius basses off of my potential basses list.

5. BassFishingInAmerica

BassFishingInAmerica

Jul 24, 2014
    That's what I thought, too. It says double action, so there is a point where there should be zero tension, before it begins to tighten up again.

Skoti likes this.
  6. mysteryclock

mysteryclock Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2010
    Franklin, TN
    Ned's stuff is usually very well engineered, so I'd be surprised if a brand new bass would have a truss rod issue that soon. Perhaps you just got the 1 in ten thousand lemon? If you did buy it brand new and they figure out it really is not working, I'd work to get it exchanged for a new one.

Skoti likes this.
  7. Skoti

Skoti

Sep 29, 2016
    Tampa Bay, FL
    Thanks Vaesto, I've been to the site prior to and after my purchase. Depending on the gig my tuning range is 438 up to the standard 440. The aluminum neck was definitely a concern but because of the bass' overall weight reduction I understood the reason it was used. So far the company has been extremely accommodating. The fact that they offer a one year warranty certainly helped! Fingers crossed, if all goes well I'll post an update just for the heck of it.

8. Skoti

Skoti

Sep 29, 2016
    Tampa Bay, FL
  9. Skoti

Skoti

Sep 29, 2016
    Tampa Bay, FL
    We were able to remove the aluminum plate revealing the truss rod access. The barrel nut was so stripped it was actually shiney! This tells me that it was a recent, possibly an "in store" (sales floor) adjustment done prior to my purchase. So far the manufacturer has been extremely accommodating. The bass has been sent back (it came with a one year warranty) so now I wait. Since they don't normally keep parts around for repairs it will either be a manufacturer repair or a new bass sent back to me. So we shall see!! Thanks 96tbird!

mysteryclock likes this.
  10. Conkal

Conkal

Jun 23, 2017
    Athens, Greece
    The most interesting part of this story is that a stripped rod is covered by the warranty....

Skoti likes this.
  11. Skoti

Skoti

Sep 29, 2016
    Tampa Bay, FL
    WHOA, wait Jeff!!! My issue was NOT with a Radius CR (Czech Republic). Though mine is a Radius, it's the lower priced WAV model made in Indonesia.

12. Skoti

Skoti

Sep 29, 2016
    Tampa Bay, FL
    It's already in the works. The customer service has been outstanding thus far into the experience. I've played and owned a few of Ned's previous instruments over the years and am of the same opinion. I found out that the instruments made in Indonesia (WAV) like mine, as well as the Czech Republic (the higher priced models) all pass through the company's American location for basic product inspection and set up. I have a strong feeling that my bass may have been "adjusted" on the showroom floor. Thanks for the opinion Mysteryclock!

13. Skoti

Skoti

Sep 29, 2016
    Tampa Bay, FL
    No kidding! It'll arrive at the company on Thursday. I should have an answer soon thereafter. Fingers crossed!