Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stupid Judges.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Mike Money, Feb 8, 2004.

1. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    I officially hate all the Judges in the PPACC Percussion/Color Gaurd organization.

Today was our first competition for Winter Percussion... We perform our show without any major kinks... The turd who runs the PA has this idea that every channel has to be muted before you can turn the thing on and off. My band director had unmuted the channels, but then the kid goes back and mutes them all. So I was the only one going throught he PA, except for the Synthesizer and vocals... 4000w, 16 channel mixer, 2 18'' subs, 2 2x15/2x8 cabs... pretty much all to my self. Rock!

But ya. We took to long setting up and getting off. The gym had STEEP stairs leading into it, so it is really hard to get equipment on and off quickly...

We got docked 8.5 points for time... We would have placed 2nd if it wasn't for the lousy gym design.... We had the best show. We had the only COMPLETE show. All of the pits had all their music, but not all of the drumlines did... Oh well. We still essentially beat everyone's arse, right? :p

2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I guess that's what you get for using synthesizers and other electronics in a percussion competition . . . I remember a time when it was all about the percussion . . . silly me . . .

3. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Synthesizers are electronic forms of the Piano. The Piano is a percussion instrument, therefore, so are synths.

I win.

4. no mike; no you dont. like always, you lose again. quit whining and start thinking of a way to fix your problems and stop blaiming them on others. :rolleyes:

5. Uhh, sounds like you DIDN'T win. Wasn't that the problem in the first place?

6. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    We wouldn't have one anyways... But penalizing us 8 points for harsh conditions? That is what my issue is...

7. mike...

youre obviously not thinking here so let me make it clear.

you guys got penalized because you used more time than is allowed. that was your own fault, not the judges.

also, its not like you guys were the only ones that had to deal with the poorly set up gym. ALL the other bands had to go up those high stairs and such as well. if they were able to deal with it then so should have you. the judges only did their job. had they not penalized you then the other bands would be complaining just like you. only difference is, their whining would be justified...

8. you have got to be kidding me! there is absolutely no need for that much power in a gym. our marching band used a few 50-100 watt combos this season and that was MORE than enough for full stadiums. that just seems like MAJOR overkill for a small perc ensemble in a high school gymnasium

hey, maybe i just solved your problem. GET A SMALLER RIG!

9. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Our band doesn't settle for "enough" We have two Carvin 2000w power amps, a 16-channel carvin mixer, and the afore mentioned speakers. For marching band, this is split up between 4-8 marimba's/xylophones, E-bass, and sometimes a field mic or two. For winter percussion, there are 2 synths, 2 mics for timpani, 8 marimbas, E-bass, 1 for vocals, one for drumset.

We are an open-class WGI percussion group. We are 30 members strong. That is not a small percussion group. Oh, and we need the big PA because we sound so damned good and want to make sure all the other groups here us and know we rule. :p