Stupid pick question

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Doley50, Mar 22, 2014.

1. Doley50

Doley50

Sep 4, 2005
    Ok this may seem very stupid, I have always played bass finger style, and while I play guitar with a pick I have never played bass with one, I have grab one of my guitar picks and mess around, but that is. My band does some songs that I feel would benefit tone wise if I used a pick.
    My question, ready? Lol
    What kind of pick do you use?
    I remember seeing at one time picks that were marketed as bass picks, and I know there are specialty picks like felt.
    I'm just curious, you basses that play with picks do you just use guitar picks?

2. BenWhoPlaysBass

BenWhoPlaysBass

Jun 7, 2013
    VA
    Generally, people use much thicker picks for bass. I'd recommend nothing smaller than a 1mm thickness. Pick-playing friends of mine always used Dunlop Stubby picks or a really thick Tortex of some sort. Bottom line, just try a bunch of 'em and see what you like.

3. electracoyote

electracoyote Supporting Member

Dunlop Ultex Sharps .90 standard tear drop size

I use this pick on guitars, basses, and mandolin

4. 1mm Dunlop nylons when I feel the need.

5. Tanner5382

Tanner5382

Sep 26, 2010
    Canton, GA
    Any Dunlop Heavy works for me. Max Grips, Nylons, and Tortex are what I tend to have always used. However, I recently picked up some Dunlop Celluloid Heavies and I am loving them.

6. WillieB

WillieB Battling Bass Guitar Bulimia since 1975 Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2010
    Columbus Ohio
    [​IMG]I found when I first started playing with a pick on a few songs ( not that long ago ) if I used standard guitar pics that I was always dropping them or they would turn in my fingers.

I found Dava's and use them exclusively now ! easy to hold on to .... stand up to the bass strings ... and have a great tone.

You can find them on amazon as well as many music store sites.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/dava-grip-tips-delrin-medium

7. One Drop

One Drop

Oct 10, 2004
    Swiss Alps
    There are no stupid picks, only stupid questions.

I kid. I like the 1.14 Dunlop Tortex ones, slight teardrop shape and thick enough for some thump but thin enough for good attack. They are light blue.

Too thin can be twangy, and thicker is good for more fingerstyle tones.

8. Fender05

Fender05

Oct 20, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I play exclusively with picks. The one I've landed on that works best for me is the Dunlop Tortex 1mm. The 1mm nylon's are pretty nice, but I've got a heavy right hand, so I bend those pretty quickly. The Ultex are cool, but flimsier, and the Gator Grips REALLY lock into your hand, but wear out quickly. Best bet is to grab a bunch of heavy picks and find one that works best. Don't get stuck only buying heavy-Nolly from Periphery uses .60mm. So there's that.

9. Kmonk

Kmonk

Oct 18, 2012
    South Shore, Massachusetts
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan, Nordstrand Pickups, Korg , Conquest Sound
    I don't use a pick very much but when I do I use Dunlop Tortex .60mm. I really don't like a heavy pick and since I also play guitar I find the .60mm suits both very well.

10. I use 1mm Tortex picks, they aren't incredibly stiff or flexy, just right for me. I bought the triangle ones, with 3 sides so if I wear one side out or break it (unlikely) I've got two other sides.

11. delta7fred

delta7fred

Jul 3, 2007
    England
    Another vote for Dunlop 1mm black nylon. I can wreck a Tortex pick in a song.

One or two songs we play cry out for a pick, the rest I use fingers.

12. Doley50

Doley50

Sep 4, 2005
    Thanks guys, that helps a lot. I have a bunch of picks I use for guitar, so I'll try some of those out.
    I use heavy / x- heavy picks on electric and I have a few fancy Red Bear picks for playing acoustic.
    I guess now I have to practice using it!

13. mcarp555

mcarp555 Guest

Jul 14, 2013
    I use Fender 355 Heavy picks. The large triangles. Used 'em for years.

14. electracoyote

electracoyote Supporting Member

Everyone is on track here, especially with the thickness (thick = good, I wouldn't go any thinner than .90). The materials can vary quite a bit, from a gentle thump to a hard bright attack. That's where you'll want to experiment a bit and pick something that suits your taste.

15. Robert Ellison

Robert Ellison

Feb 12, 2013
    I use the Fender medium large triangular with the rounded corners when using a pick. I take a little of the treble out of my amp to keep the same tone the same as when finger picking.

16. zontar

zontar

Feb 19, 2014
    J-5
    I mostly use my fingers.
    I do have a felt pick and a rubber pick as well.
    Those, I've been told, are to simulate the softer feel of skin-as compared to a normal pick.

But when I do use a pick it's not to simulate a finger, it's for the percussive tone and the different feel/rhythm I get with a pick.

Then I would normally use what I mostly use for guitar--a Tortex 1.14 mm.
    But I might use something else as well.
    But it would be a thick pick.

17. Metalbasspro

Metalbasspro

Feb 9, 2009
    WA state
    I use heavy triangle type pics. Are you using the same Fender I am on the far right? I like them but they are expensive. For a time I used the one on the left, musicians friend special but I can't find them anymore.

8xri89.jpg

The Pick in the Center I used to get from a Friend who worked for Ridout plastics. He based it off the Fender but it was slightly larger and made out of Polycarbonate plastic. I don't know what it was about them but they produced a great bright tone I found perfect for thrash metal back in the day. They were more durable then the Fenders and I got em really cheap. The one in the photo is my last one. :crying: I don't intend to use it and even if I did my hand is no longer accustomed to it's use.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polycarbonate

I would avoid anything that looks like a standard guitar pick but some bass players like that kinda thing.

18. Lownote38

Lownote38

Aug 8, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    I don't use a pick a lot, but when I do, it's one of these...

Attached Files:

19. CaptainTuna

CaptainTuna

May 13, 2011
    Dunlop nylon 0.60!

20. MTBK

MTBK

Sep 11, 2013
    I like picks between .7something and 1mm. Typically the 1 though, it's what I actually get. When I'm playing with a pick it's with a lot of fuzz (or even with my hm2 cranked up as it should be). So I'll be digging in a lot. The weaker pick keeps me from absolutely demolishing the strings.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 25, 2021