1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Subdrops or "808" samples

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by xPaulx, Mar 11, 2009.

1. xPaulx

xPaulx

Mar 11, 2009
    Kunckletown, Pa
    What does everyone think about using the 808 samples live?
    My drummer has a Roland SPD-S Sampling Percussion Pad, and we have everything on there from techno samples to our 808 samples.
    I was just wondering what everyone thinks about them... since ive been hearing from people I know that have this pad and said that you really cant use them at venues but I was thinking since I have two 8x10 cabs maybe we would be able to run it through the other 8x10 cab but I dont know if it'll ruin the cab

2. I would guess that your 8x10 wouldn't really be able to get that DEEP 808 sound right. Your best bet is to talk to the soundman, tell him what you're dealing with, and allow him to do what he needs to make it all work. If the venue has a decent sound system with subs, there shouldn't be a real problem with using your sample pad. I've heard them used in smaller and medium sized venues pretty effectively.

3. xPaulx

xPaulx

Mar 11, 2009
    Kunckletown, Pa

Ive seen them in venues like that also but only from signed bands and thats it. My friends and has one and they play all over and they have been told they cant use it. :meh:

kinda makes me unhappy about the whole thing.

4. That's pretty silly. If a signed band can use a piece of equipment, there is no reason why a local band wouldn't be able to. I would just try to contact the venue ahead of time and tell them what you're dealing with. If it's a vital part of your band's sound, they shouldn't tell you not to use it.

5. AndyLES

AndyLES

Aug 25, 2008
    New York
    Why not? Tell the a$$hat behind to console to set the gain properly and he'll be fine. Tell him to relax...he won't blow out the subs unless he stupidly cranks it too loud.

Either his subs really are crap (doubtless - this isn't a friggin DC-sine wave, just a friggin' 808 sample that's heard on 90% iof the records the idiot plays over the system nightly between sets), or he's lazy and doesn't want to hook up another channel, OR doesn't know what he's doing (likely answer).

Jesus, I do sound myself, and stuff like this embarrasses me to no end. :rollno:

6. GregShadoan

GregShadoan

Sep 1, 2008
    Oregon
    Yeah, most 808's in the real world are mixed at or below the levels of your average kick drum. In terms of energy that is. If you are getting your kick and bass miced, should be no problem using your 808.

7. I think that the issue is that, judging from Paul's user name, he plays in a hardcore band. Most of the time when hardcore bands use the 808 bass drop, it's LOUD in the mix. I can see where it would be a difficult thing to deal with, but there is no reason why you wouldn't be able to make it work.

8. Dambrother71

Dambrother71

Dec 1, 2009
    Where can i get one of these, i would really like to get one and know the best way to run on through at a live venue.

9. konodl18

konodl18

Jun 6, 2008
    Wisconsin
    I can see why soundguys would get nervous about this. The frequencies are super low, the volumes are super high, and the sound rig will be pushed hard by using them often. They are also a couple of seconds long as opposed to a loud kick drum which is a fast spike in signal to the subs.

If you set the sample up during sound check and get the levels right, and the system can handle it, there should be no problem. But if you crank up your drum machine's output level during the show and destroy all the subs in the club that would be a problem :)

Derek

10. WalterBush

WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    Full disclosure, I'm a certified Fender technician working in a music store that carries Fender, Yamaha, and Ibanez products among others.
    Talk to the soundguy ahead of time, let them know you're using one. I would suggest buying a limiter in case the venue you're playing doesn't have them on every channel.

Limiter=no argument from the soundguy, 99% of the time.

11. id like to have one of those. we use a lot of bass drops in our recordings.. but can never do it live. its a typical hardcore band thing, and we want to be in on it haha