Substitute for GB Shuttle STL-10T extension cab?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by whodom, Sep 23, 2016.

1. whodom

whodom

Mar 3, 2006
    Salters, SC
    Up front, I have to admit I slept through the whole demise of Genz Benz over the last ~3 years. I've been playing infrequently and rarely visited Talkbass recently.

I own a Shuttle 3.0-10T that I purchased shortly after they came out. I used it as my main amp (with various extension cabs) for a few years until I added a Streamliner 600 a few years ago.

After playing once or twice a year for the last several years, suddenly I've got 4 gigs over the next month. Last night I was thinking "Damn, I wish I'd gotten the extension cab to go with my Shuttle, maybe I can still find one." So this morning while looking through Talkbass I find out GB was bought by Fender, etc., etc., so the possibility of getting a new STL-10T is gone.

It seems like the STL-10T's rarely show up in the classifieds (I watched for a long time a few years ago). I was just wondering if any of the available 1x10's would be a reasonable substitute? Current examples include the Eden EX110 and Ashdown MiBass 1x10. Are there any others?

Thanks in advance!

2. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    They do show up used in the TB classifieds, you can also find them on reverb and eBay.

3. whodom

whodom

Mar 3, 2006
    Salters, SC
    OK- thanks. I'll be patient. I'd rather stick with a matched cabinet if possible.

4. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
  5. RustyAxe

RustyAxe

Jul 8, 2008
    Connecticut
    I had the same issue with Shuttle 6.0-12T ... I needed another 12T cab. I was patient, and found one here in the forum ... had the bracket, but that was easily removed, and an adapter added to the pigtail.

6. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    The brackets (saddles) can fetch pretty good money on the resale market BTW.

Be sure the mounting holes have suitable screws installed when the bracket is removed or whistling can result from the air pressure differential.

7. bherman

bherman Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2009
    Grand Junction, CO
    If I were you I'd buy this and either keep the amp as a backup or sell the amp for a few hundred and you've got yourself a matched pair. As usual Agedhorse comes through

agedhorse likes this.
  8. Jeff Genzler

Jeff Genzler Commercial User

Feb 9, 2007
    Brooklyn NY
    Currently GENZLER AMPLIFICATION / Formerly GENZ BENZ
    You know, I may still have an extra STL-10T extension cab around. I need to check. @whodom, send me a PM if you'd like.

Kinda sounds like these little dynamo combos are still popular. Hmmm...

cultrvultr and wave rider like this.
  9. RustyAxe

RustyAxe

Jul 8, 2008
    Connecticut
    I just used the screws that mounted the bracket. I should put a handle on the cab, but it's so light it's no problem to carry as it is.

10. RustyAxe

RustyAxe

Jul 8, 2008
    Connecticut
    Hell yeah, Jeff! This replaced my Ampeg 4x10's (2) ... for what I play now, it's perfect. I also have an STL-8T, and pair that with a GK MB200 (sorry, it's what I could get used at the time ... grin!). I like the "mini rig of doom" for those cocktail hour gigs and small acoustic venues.

11. Joebone

Joebone Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2005
    California Republic
    Kinda sounds like you or Andy need to figure out how and when to devise successors to these killer, killer units!

6-7 years ago, and with my guidance, my family bought me a 3.0-8T combo as a gift. Killer unit! Small enough to stash in luggage and take on vacation, and surprisingly competent with 5-string so long as you don't expect heroic volume levels.

A year later, I bought the 10" cabinet, with saddle, on a local deal.

I use that combo constantly, for home practice or for small rehearsals/jams/coffeehouse gigs. It is a killer!

And I now also now have a Shuttle 6.2 and the two 2.2 1-12 speaker cabinets. Have not often used both cabinets, but the 6.2 and the saddled cabinet are a killer grab-and-go that I routinely use for rehearsals with a 5-6 piece Latin Rock group.

So yeah, there is the Magellan and the Subway 800 and a passel of good cabinet alternatives, all of which share good Genz-Benz DNA.

But will anyone try to further develop and explore the magnificent small combo paradigm established by the Genz Benz 3.0-10T???

I submit that such a project would be the Lord's Work...

whodom likes this.
  12. Relsom

Relsom

Nov 23, 2013
    The Old Dominion
    I think the 12T Ext may be more available on the used market than the 10, but still quite rare. Sorry I missed the 12 that sold here about a month ago (in my state too!). Still on the lookout btw. I bought my 6.2 12T and 12 ext new when they were still in production. I'd like to find another .2 12 ext to pair the two with other heads.Its a good solid cab.

13. whodom

whodom

Mar 3, 2006
    Salters, SC
    Sweet! PM sent!

14. whodom

whodom

Mar 3, 2006
    Salters, SC
    Thanks for the link. I actually saw that one on Reverb. Hopefully I've found a source for an extension cab (see post above) so I don't have to goof up a nice combo amp.

15. Jeff Genzler

Feb 9, 2007
    Brooklyn NY
    I'm listening....

markroman, S-Bigbottom and wave rider like this.
  16. Joebone

Joebone Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2005
    California Republic
    Excellent!

Maybe it's as simple as saddling the Magellan amp to an existing Magellan cabinet, or also offering a 1-10" alternative saddled cabinet? How about a saddled 1"-10" with a modest line array, which could be supplemented by an additional 1-10" cabinet?

But I also have to volunteer that the little 3.0 amp is a trooper. Truthfully, I love that solid-state preamp circuit, and would happily work with that instead of the tube-circuit of the 6.2 or 9.2. And the power amp is surprisingly capable for it's size…y'all most certainly got everything right with those little units!

whodom and SteveC like this.
  17. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Agree 100%
    My little Shuttle 3.0-10T - with or without the extra can - is a killer combo/mini rig.
    I'm guessing some Magellan head/line array saddled combo would be even more killer.

18. Ok Jeff, I've given you ideas before that you've yet to implement, remember the swivel mids BA210 for verticle orientation? So here's another.

How about a half power more or less 300-400 wattr "Mini Magellan" (MiniMag) with the bracket attached to a BA110 (w/2-4" mids) with a 110 sub available. "BAM Jr.")

I'd love one for my Jazz gigs, as I'm sure others would. The balls in your court!

Last edited: Sep 24, 2016
    SteveC and whodom like this.
  19. Jeff Genzler

Feb 9, 2007
    Brooklyn NY
    OK, well it seems like we're all on the same page here. I'd better close the drapes to the R&D shop.
    Thanks for all the feedback.

cultrvultr and wave rider like this.
  20. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

That's perfect. The names, specs, done. I love my Shuttle but I'll get in line for something like this. I could use a change after all these years.

markroman likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021