1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Suddenly undecided as to which Precision I should buy

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Papalampraina, Mar 19, 2017.

1. Papalampraina

Papalampraina Need.More.Fez. Supporting Member

May 13, 2009
    Staten Island, NY
    Hey guys. I am currently in the search for a really good split-coil, 4-string Precision. My first and only choice was the Am. Std. Fender, but I've been checking the Lakland Skyline series (specifically the 44-51) and I've read only good things about them, plus a lot of people say that they are on par with the American Fenders. I like Fender but I'm open to any suggestions. Can you please give me a bit of help? Any suggestion about other brands, where their P-basses stand in terms of tone, build quality, etc.

2. Panych

Panych

Jun 30, 2014
    I would also look at G&L LB100. Haven't played but I think this one is very good option.
    I have an AS Fender P-bass, very love it, great quality, real P tone and Fender's brand equity.

3. Rabidhamster

Rabidhamster

Jan 15, 2014
    American Fender all the way. Why get an import that supposedly lives up to what it's copying when they're asking crazy money - $999 for an Indonesian guitar vs how much for an American p bass?

4. twinjet

twinjet jazz bassist / G&L enthusiast Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2008
    Now, about $100 more. $100 less used.

Rabidhamster likes this.
  5. DigitalMan

DigitalMan Owner of seven basses - eligible for 44 TB Clubs Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Take a good look at the Lakland bridge. Aesthetically it is not everyone's cup of tea.

6. joebar

joebar

Jan 10, 2010
    get the original.
    P basses used are a good deal and they hold their value really well.

bobyoung53, ShirazBop, RC52 and 4 others like this.
  7. AngelCrusher

AngelCrusher Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2004
    Mesa Boogie, Tech 21, Taylor
    Fender is making great sounding basses too, and has been for a while. The 62 CS pickup in the newer releases is really fantastic. Awesome tone.

8. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

I went the Lakland route a while back with a 44-64 and came to the conclusion that if I wanted a Fender, I should have just got a Fender. My MIM Classic 50's P that I throught would be easily replaced by the Lakland just going by the hype, was superior in just about every way imaginable and that's ignoring the different specs. There was nothing about the bass in my mind that put it on the level of an AmStd, in fact I was kind of let down upon realizing my MIM was put together just as well and was an overall better player. I know that my experience doesn't reflect the majority here, but that's my experience. I wound up selling it and grabbing another Classic P. What I will say though is that Lakland is a great company that cares about its customers. Mine came from Bass Central with electronics that were dead on arrival and a case with a broken latch. John P paid shipping to and from Chicago and replaced the case (which was a $120 up charge). Unfortunately the bass came back still not working and he paid the tab to have my local guy do it again, which I appreciated. I've since learned how to do my own electronic work, so that's something I'd now overlook if the bass was right for me otherwise.

bmac314 and bobyoung53 like this.
  9. AngelCrusher

AngelCrusher Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2004
    Mesa Boogie, Tech 21, Taylor
    Agree. The Classic 50's P is fantastic. I have that and an AVRI. Love both. I think I am going to modern up my 50's tone a little and put a Dimarzzio Split P in it, since the AVRI already gives me an incredible classic tone.

knumbskull and petrus61 like this.
  10. maximus

maximus

Oct 13, 2006
    Have you checked out the new American Professional P-bass? I'm saving for one right now, to replace my current Yamaha. I started out on a Squier P back in the day, can't wait to get back on a Precision Bass.

bobyoung53 likes this.
  11. bassdude51

bassdude51 Supporting Member

Nov 1, 2008
    Central Ohio
    If you can afford it, get a real deal 1957 to 1974 Fender Precision Bass.

If not, the AVRI '63 is pretty damn nice!

Used Fender Custom Shop Ps pop up on TalkBass for decent prices. (Really nice basses the CS!)

Sometimes Music123, Musicians Friend, American Music Supply, Sweetwater, Zzsounds, etc have returns and blems for around the $1,600 range.

Fender American Vintage '63 Precision Bass

12. birdman14

birdman14

Feb 7, 2011
    Boston
    Have you had a chance to compare their specs? Just glancing at each page, they are rather different. The Lakland has vintage sized frets (.041/.085), while the Fender has medium jumbos (.036/.106). Also, most Laklands are Ash bodies, while the Am Pros are Alder.

I much prefer the feel of Laklands, and have yet to play a single bad one. I can't say that about fender.
    Another thing to note is that Lakland offers a P bass with each common nut width (The 44-64 Custom has a 1.5", the 51 has a 1.625, and the normal 64 has a 1.75").

G RICH 5 likes this.
  13. Papalampraina

May 13, 2009
    Staten Island, NY
    First of all, thank you all for the input.
    One, I haven't had the chance to play a Lakland, but I had several Fenders. I agree that the post-2012 AmStd is great and I love its aggressive sound.
    Second, I prefer ash bodies, but I go mostly with weight, so the lighter the better, due to back problems. I like painted bodies, so the grain is not something that plays a big role to me.
    Also, I like the Lakland bridges, they are aesthetically unique, so no problem there.
    One of the issues is the nut width, that is why I limit my Skyline options to the 44-51, because it is the only one with 1.625" width. In general, the Fender necks are what I like.

Now, I'm beginning to wonder, why did I even start this thread, when I'm a Fender guy. :)
    Still, if anyone else wants to chip in, I will be more than glad to read your personal opinions and experiences. If not, I'm still ok and thankful for all those that did reply.

14. Glazenn

Glazenn

May 16, 2011
    France
    Number 1 option : a used Fender AVRI '62 or '57 P (be sure a 1-3/4 nut suits your taste).
    Otherwise, G&L LB100 or SB-1 (Leo Fender's last business).

G RICH 5 likes this.
  15. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

Search the classifieds for Gorgeous............

16. tattooSAM

tattooSAM Supporting Member

May 22, 2016
    Northwest Pennsylvania
    Any P bass with tort is the one you should buy. Immediately install flats after your purchase.

[​IMG]

17. Papalampraina

May 13, 2009
    Staten Island, NY
    I hated the combination tort, sunburst and rosewood, but for some unknown reason it keep looking better and better. Flats are the only way to go though.

G RICH 5, bobyoung53, RC52 and 4 others like this.
  18. stringthrough

stringthrough Supporting Member

Received the new MIA Professional P Bass last week. Their new '63 P profile neck is the nicest P bass neck I recall ever playing. Sounds pretty great too. Just an awesome bass; highly recommended. Here it is, next to my J bass.

JnPBasses.

19. I finally got to try out an American Pro P-Bass recently, and I liked it a lot. The '63 neck is big and comfy.

20. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    IME, the Skyline is right there with the American Standard in terms of fit and finish (country of origin does not determine quality), and Lakland's customer service is superb.

I haven't been able to try the Professional series yet, but that P does cost $360 more (though the Skyline doesn't have a case).

tattooSAM, bassbully and G RICH 5 like this.