1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Suggest a Fuzz.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Acerexx, Apr 10, 2015.

1. Acerexx

Acerexx

Apr 10, 2015
    I am looking to try some new fuzzes, here are the attributes I'm looking for.

- Fairly clean and consistent
    - Even tone across the bass range
    - Little loss to low end

I guess to sum it up, a little more synthy and less screaming overtones all over the place.

Currently use a big muff looped over the bass signal, but its a little more jangle than I want.

Thanks for your suggestions!

2. Dash Lashes

Dash Lashes Banned

Feb 20, 2015
    what do you mean "clean" fuzz? :eek::confused:

Last edited: Apr 10, 2015
    10cc likes this.
  3. DirtyDuke

DirtyDuke Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 13, 2012
    guelph ontario
    Partner Southampton Pedals, Partner CCP
    Spaceman gemini III is my current favorite.

4. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
  5. jwr

jwr

Jun 28, 2010
    Overland Park, KS
    I disagree. The Duality is not even close to what I would call clean. That's my opinion though.

I will say it's one you always recommend though MMbongo. The Bumble fuzz comes to mind. Super consistent clean tone. Probably one of the best voiced fuzzes on the market.

6. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    I guess that's the problem with wanting a 'clean' fuzz...probably means different things to different people. I wouldn't consider the Bumble 'clean' at all, and it's not synthy...it's about 80% Muff and 20% hard distortion. To me, anyway!

I suggested the Duality because Darkglass has the best blend out there, so it can stay very clean and the fuzz is synth natured instead of 'Muff' natured.

Aguilar's Fuzzistor is also out now...might be worth checking out.

7. DirtyDuke

DirtyDuke Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 13, 2012
    guelph ontario
    Partner Southampton Pedals, Partner CCP
    Synthy? Clean? 3 leaf your doom

Down_Low likes this.
  8. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    Team Awesome Fuzz Machine? Here it is at milder darker settings:

TAFM.mp3 - File Shared from Box

If you want synthier than that, the Diabolik gets my recommendation. The Duality rocks too. Personally I think the You're Doom sounded really bland though.

9. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    I took this to mean coherent, so you can hear the start, stop and pitch of every note without too much noise over the top.

10. gsquare

gsquare Pedal Breeders' BIGBoardClub#104;CabronitaClub#8 Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2012
    Peoria, AZ
    Been really checking out the Black Arts Toneworks Pharaoh Supreme. It doesn't have a blend knob, but it does have 6 different clip settings with varying degrees of dirt and I suppose, clean as well. Lots of options packed in one box.

You might be looking for a pedal with a clean blend, like the TAFM, but not all are created equal. I probably wouldn't recommend the Iron Ether Oxide, the fuzz side doesn't really "clean up" all that well for me.

I have to mention, because I just got it, the Death By Audio Apocolyse. It doesn't "clean up" per se, but with the variable wave settings and the sweepable frequency equalizer knob you can get some pretty interesting sounds from synthy to splatter.

Good luck on your quest!

Swimming Bird and XXL like this.
  11. TAFM is the answer. Always. :)

halfjackson likes this.
  12. gsquare

gsquare Pedal Breeders' BIGBoardClub#104;CabronitaClub#8 Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2012
    Peoria, AZ
    I so need to get me one!!

blindrabbit likes this.
  13. Acerexx

Acerexx

Apr 10, 2015
    Thanks for the help! So far really liking the versatility of the TAFM. The Duality also sounds really really good.

Anyone ever tried an empress fuzz?

14. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    Btw if you go for a TAFM, according to posts at ilovefuzz.com, the circuit has gone through numerous revisions over the years. Mine is pretty old, the horizontally wider layout before they introduced the internal switchable buffer; I tried one of the latest ones recently and it did not sound anywhere near as good, so I'd try looking for a used one if I were you! Then again if they are inconsistent you could get a new one that sounds amazing!

15. Check the MXR bass fuzz deluxe. Very versatile.

Bassmike62, Billy C. and punchdrunk like this.
  16. EHX Bass Big Muff, has that setting that lets the lows through clean and ads fuzz to the higher frequency. quite versatile, true bypass. if you have this, i think you have a great fuzz already

friendlybass likes this.
  17. mxr bass fuzz deluxe. it only effects the mid and high freqencies, low is not effected.

i have the bfd. i'm looking forward to getting the bass tight fuzz by amptweaker. i believe the tight fuzz has some synthy sounds.

Fabian_Aryo likes this.
  18. Fabian_Aryo

Fabian_Aryo

Mar 24, 2014
    Port Of Spain
    Either
    MXR Bass Fuzz Deluxe

Or a
    Big Muff

Both still have the low end, so It doesn't sound like a guitar.

Unemploid likes this.
  19. fuzz war by death by audio

20. DDXdesign

DDXdesign formerly 'jammadave' Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    My vote is the Swollen Pickle. I have mine set at about 9-10:00 on the gain (Sustain knob), with the filter, crunch and scoop all between 12 and 1:00, and it's a very tight fuzz, almost synthy - plus, there's plenty more gain on tap if you want it. I get a great tone for Time Is Running Out (Muse) with just that fuzz.