1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Suggest some shuffles?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by calshands, Oct 21, 2009.

1. calshands

calshands

Feb 11, 2004
    Hey All,

My drummer (an AMAZING musician) is falling in love with the shuffle of late. I am hoping you can suggest some good examples of this style for me to listen to and absorb.

I feel that I need to "get" the style a bit more, not necessarily technique (though that is surely lacking) but also the groove of it.

Thanks for your ideas.

2. Jeff Porcaro -- one of the best ever:

Hope that's what you're looking for.

3. sir juice

sir juice

Sep 11, 2006
    London, England

Bernard Purdie, the GOD of groove drumming.

4. Fergie Fulton

Fergie Fulton

Nov 22, 2008
    Braintree
    Retrovibe Artist rota
    Try chewin' tobacco, great for Texas shuffles. say it over and over and play to the rythmn and accents in it.
    chewin' tobacco chewin' tobacco chewin' tobacco chewin' tobacco.
    Fast, slow, drag it, say it with a drawl it still makes a great beat as it gives a great feel to relate to.

5. Stevie Ray Vaughan's "Cold Shot" is a shuffle feel that a bunch of drummers seem to have trouble nailing.

6. paul_wolfe

paul_wolfe

Mar 8, 2009
    London
    Rocco is a master of the funk shuffle. (Along with David garibaldi of course)

Check out:

Credit
    Happy About That
    I Do My Best Work At Night (from the second Strokeland Superband record)

7. +1
    Not just drummers. Most musicians have trouble nailing the feel of this tune. But if you get it right...:hyper: