Suggestions for band I just formed...

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by NewWaveBasser, May 20, 2004.

1. I gathered some players through a web forum with the hopes of starting a band.

They are good players and they are real cool people.

My main concern is trying to develop a style in such a way that I accomodate all band members' tastes without me growing too uncomfortable.

Now, check this:

I, bassist: New wave, power pop, british pop/rock, indie, alternative

Drummer: classic 60s and 70s rock, blues

Guitarist 1: Brit pop, indie

Guitarist 2: Dunno, probably 80s and AOR

Singer: Top 40 pop, AOR, disco, hard rock

That's a lot of styles! Dang!

Is there a chance something in the happy medium realm can come up?

How do I deal with trying to mix it down?

If I formed the band, is the negotiating attitude best or should I be more egoistical?
  2. chris4001asat

Dec 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    Warehouse Manager : Reverend Guitars
    If you're talking cover band, that could be difficult. If you're talking originals, the style just happens. Everybodies different styles will hopefully gel and compliment each other. I once called a band that was looking for a bass player, they asked what style I played. I said "I play what the song needs"
  3. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    I've always wanted a Prince/Stevie Wonder tribute band. I say that you go in that direction!
  4. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    I agree that there shouldn't be a problem if you're doing originals...especially since you said they're all cool people. You'll likely develop a sound over some time. If the guitar players hate the way the singer sounds, well that could be a problem.

If you're doing covers, then song selection could still probably fit in those different tastes. It doesn't seem like the tastes are that disparate. [edit: ok, disco and blues are pretty far from each other. people don't need to bring all of their likes into the band though, do they? I couldn't be in a band by myself it had to encompass my entire cd collection]

Or you could occasionally play a cover in a different style like this: :D

Throw your hands up at me,
  5. I would get a list of songs from each person see what you have in common and then try different things until you find your sound.

We play a lot of covers differently then the originals just cause we happen to like the way they sound.
  6. Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    I agree - with covers it is difficult. My style of music doesn't fit at all with my band and I compromise my own interests quite a bit. Even when I offer something that is remotely do-able (but still not my ideal song) it gets put aside. For instance, if I could just get one Maiden song in I'd be happy, so I suggested wrathchild since it is easy and would be cool to perform. But have they learned it yet? No.

Originals on the other hand, everybody works their own style in and you have this weird conglomeration called original music.

BTW, I'm casually looking for other musicians who are more with my style of covers but it is hard.
  7. ironmaidenisgod

May 20, 2004
    I would disagree with what these guys have said.I am no pro,am in my first real band,but consider say Audioslave,formed out of the ashes of Soundgarden and Rage against the Machine-two very different bands.Create your distinctive sound.

Even for covers-say you cover the Rolling Stone's 'Start me up'.With your different influences,you can give a great different vibe/feel to it.Maybe a disco or a hard-rock version.:D
  8. ironmaidenisgod

May 20, 2004
    Wrathchild is easy for you,man.There is practically one bass riff throughout.The guitars are piercing and heavy.I can handle the bass department in this song fairly well,but I can't do the guitars.

Do something easier like 'the Wicker Man' from Brave New World:bassist: .
  9. MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    from the given styles it looks as though you could do a modern age garag/brit rock band a la strokes/jet/maroon 5. Has a classic rock feel, is very radio friendly, and is somewhat british style as well
  10. smperry

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    I don't think you disagreed with anyone. :confused: I agree with your statement anyway.

Where's the original poster? What's going on?

11. ironmaidenisgod

May 20, 2004
    I disagree with those who said forming a cover band would be impossible for him.
  12. smperry

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
  13. Thank you all for your input so far. Keep it comin'.

As of now everybody in the group is still on board, so I at least got it right by not pre-defining the project.

We will for now try covers as a way to see how we all play as a unit. Originals are our goal, though.

Chances are I'll try doing lyrics, even though the singer is female.
  14. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000

I always hated it when I would talk to potential bandmates, and they would ask, "What style of music do you like to play" or "What style of music do you usually play?" I'm a professional musician, so I see it as my duty to be able to walk in and play anything from Polka to Death Metal; what I "prefer" to play is irrelevant. If I didn't want to play the style of music the band is doing, I wouldn't have answered the classified in the first place.
  15. Well, Liquid none of the people in this project is a pro. We have our day jobs...

Now if I formed the project, does that mean then that I should be a little more egoitsical in my approach? That the people who come in are the ones who should adapt?

I can rearrange my original plan (somewhere between rock, new wave, post-punk, indie, and british alt pop) but I will not accept heavy metalers or people doing lame modern Top 40 marketing-oriented produc... er songs. I do want to tell people in advance what it's all about. That's why I ask.