1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Suggestions for church player???

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by FPS, Jul 28, 2007.

1. FPS

FPS

Dec 17, 2006
    Ohio
    Back when I used to play out it was no problem to show up carrying our guitars and basses. Fast forward 20 years, now I play in church. I bought a cheaper Ibanez to leave on the stand, no problem right...wrong. Along comes a flawless cirrus that sounds and plays so much better.

Wading through the crowded front room with the bass/case is uncomfortable at best. If I show up early enough it's no problem but with three girls that's not always possible. My cirrus does have a lock on the case but I still hate the thought of leaving it there unguarded.

So I guess I have a few options:

-Suck it up and use the Ibanez...probably not.

-Maybe get another Cirrus down the road, one with at least with few scratches to leave at the church.

Any suggestions, what do you other church players do?

2. jIvan

jIvan

Mar 25, 2006
    Vancouver, BC
    is there a music room where you can put your stuff before/after you're done playing? or maybe you could get one of those cases you can wear like a backpack so its not so bad maneuvering through people...

3. CrashClint

CrashClint I Play Bass therefore I Am

Nov 15, 2005
    Wake Forest, NC
    DR Strings Dealer (local only)
    I have an "Under Cover" gig bag that works great. Through it over my back and walk. My old church had insurance, but I never felt comfortable leaving my nice basses there. I never thought anyone would steal it, but you never know if it would get knocked over or someone would play it without my permission so I brought in a gig bag each week.

4. FPS

FPS

Dec 17, 2006
    Ohio
    Thanks guys, I'll check out the gig bags.
    There is a fender that sits out all of the time. It hasn't been hurt yet but once in a while a child will twist on the tuning keys.

There are some rooms up front but they double as Sunday school rooms so that's out. I thought about upgrading the electronics in the Ibanez but I'd rather put the money towards a better bass.

5. I had the same issues when I was playing in church- kids, etc messing w/stuff during the week. I sold my beloved CXC-110 in favor of a WT-400 & Bag End cab so I could fairly easily take the head home. I would NEVER consider leaving my bass there(I don't think I would do that w/a beater). In your situation I'd probably get(or keep)a cheap bass that I didn't care too much about. the good thing is that there are lots of cheap, but nice-playing/sounding axes out these days.

6. spencer

spencer Guest

Feb 22, 2006
    Have Faith? I leave my Sparkle Red Stingray at church from time to time just because I forget it or don't feel like packing it up. Really it can't be THAT much of a problem to just bring it to the church. Or find a room you can lock it up in or something..

7. Jeb

Jeb

Jul 22, 2001
    USA
    I'd suck it up and pack it in and out. I've left sound reinforcement gear at venues for two nighters, but always take my bass. Same at church.

8. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    I leave my amp at church but never my bass, it comes in/goes out in a gig bag. Pretty obvious solution.

9. Humblerumble

Humblerumble

Feb 22, 2004
    VA.
  10. rob2966

rob2966

Oct 19, 2006
    Vancouver, BC
    Get a wireless so when you walk through the crowd you are playing the first song (how cool would that be) :)

Later
    Rob

11. JansenW

JansenW

Nov 14, 2005
    Cambridge, MA
    Sounds like you get there pretty late.

Our entire worship team gets there early, before the crowds, for quick rehearsal and sound check. Late team members can use a different entrance (away from the crowds).

I always bring my bass for the service. I do have a backup bass locked away in an office in case I need it.

12. my church things the musicians always show up like an extra 20 minutes early just to run through everything and make sure everyone knows whats goin on. maybe suggest that to the leader. then u wouldnt have to worry about it. or just arrive a little bit early and set ur bass up front, then wai till everyone leaves to pack up...avoid the mess.

13. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Des Moines, IA
    I do the same thing. The wife and kids get there for Sunday School, and I have time to pray, tune, and limber up.

I leave my rack and one of two cabs there, but I ALWAYS take my axe home with me...too many things can (and do) go wrong and no one seems to know what happened to your instrument.

14. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Acct Serv. Man.: Long & McQuade; MTD Kingston Basses Intl Emerging Artist; Bartolini Emerging Artist
    I don't leave my bass OR my rig at the high school we use (storage space) or at the facility where we have our office and rehearsal/recording space. Too many sticky fingers...and someone had a gorgeous les paul get knocked over, and the head snapped off!

Since then, I watch EVERYTHING like a hawk...God blessed me with it, I'm going to look after it!

15. DanielleMuscato

DanielleMuscato

Jun 19, 2004
    Columbia, Missouri, USA
    Endorsing Artist, Schroeder Cabinets
    I have several more suggestions for you:

"Excuse me!"
    "Coming through,"
    "Behind ya,"
    "Step aside, please,"
    "Out of the way!"
    "Move it or lose it!"

I take it you've never been to The Big Apple, huh? lol

In all seriousness, I would never leave my bass anywhere, even a regular gig, even with a locking case. If you can't get there early enough to avoid the crowd, just tell 'em to make way.

+1 to the backpack gig bag, by the way. My Line6 Variax basses came with them, and I will never go back to hardshells (unless the situation calls for my flightcases).

- Dave

16. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Acct Serv. Man.: Long & McQuade; MTD Kingston Basses Intl Emerging Artist; Bartolini Emerging Artist
    a big plus one to alla dat!

17. jimbob

jimbob

Dec 26, 2001
    Charlotte NC
    Endorsing Artist: Acoustica Mixcraft; Endorsing Artist: DR Strings
    For all the reasons previously mentioned. Also, a clean uncluttered sanctuary is probably appreciated by the staff...I once attended a funeral and someone's bass was peeking out behind the casket...:smug:...the family was not real happy about that.

18. In two differant churches, I used one each of these options. The first church had an 'equipment room' which was real iffy at best, but I used it. The next church resisted us leaving personal intruments, so I bought a Carvin gig bag with great zippers and shoulder straps.. problem solved! :D

I think your Cirrus should go home with you IMO.

19. buffordbass

buffordbass

Nov 11, 2004
    Dallas
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amps, Lakland Basses
    Warwick Rock Bag. Great padded shoulder straps, a velcro around the neck strap to secure the bass in the bag and padding forever. I put whatever bass I'm playing that week in it and off we go to church, then back home!!!