1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Suggestions on some amp brands to try?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by theweed42, Jul 24, 2012.

1. theweed42

theweed42

May 1, 2008
    Hi all,

I recently gave up my beloved Orange AD200 for financial reasons. :bawl: Amazing tone, but got dirty way too fast and had no DI. Now I'm looking for something to replace it with that is:

1.) Lighter and more consistent (i.e. preferably not all tube)
    2.) Cleaner, and
    3.) Has a DI.

I wish I could have kept the Orange but it just wasn't practical. Now I'm on tour down in California and want to try out as many different amps as I can while I'm here.

Brands and amps I've tried but don't like:
    Ampeg - SVT3, SVT4 and SVTCL
    Ashdown - ABM EVOIII
    GK - 700RBii and 1001RBii
    Markbass - Little Mark
    SWR - 750x

Brands I'm interested in:
    Mesa
    Aguilar
    EBS
    Eden

Any advice appreciated. Thanks!

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Get a Mesa M9 Carbine, pair it with a Powerhouse 412, and wear earplugs.

3. +1
    Out of his list of interests I was thinking the M9 as well, with an Agi as a second.

4. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    Genz Benz, SWR Headlight, well actually everyone out there makes one. Carvin, Mesa and on and on. Little power house amps that weigh nothing compared to the tube beasts that we love and enjoy

5. echoSE7EN

echoSE7EN

Jul 1, 2010
    Balto., MD
    Genz Benz Shuttlemax series

6. christw

christw Get low!

May 11, 2008
    Dayton OH
    I want to be Tesla (tinkerer at Dayton Amp Co)
    +1

7. Previous owner of the Eden WT-550. Powerful, good DI, versatile EQ, and relatively lightweight at just under 20lbs. Excellent, reliable head for around $550 used.

8. seang15

seang15

Aug 28, 2008
    Cary NC
    You're in Cali, there are lots of CARVIN locations to visit! Have fun!!

9. Barisaxman

Barisaxman Gold Supporting Member

Aug 17, 2005
    Omaha, NE
    How about an Orange Terror bass? Cleaner than the AD200 (especially the TB1000 that I have), lightweight, sounds phenominal!!! Seems to me like the hybrid Orange might fit your wants perfectly.

10. PlungerModerno

PlungerModerno

Apr 12, 2012
    Ireland
    There are a good few options that should give you lots of power, very flexible tone, and be lighter and cheaper than your orange (not 'dissing' it - but It's pricey and heavy).

I don't know a whole lot about amps... in the next few weeks I'm planning to pick up a GK mb fusion 500 . . . very portable with a tube pre that gives some dirt - but not all out like I've read & heard the orange amps tend to be.

Try to try it in advance - Get a good return policy if you buy new, and above all - consider using pedal / rack mount OD and / or DI if it makes sense.

P.S. there is a 'big brother' of the mb fusion, the GK fusion 550... some people who aren't fond of the other GK like it.
    EBS, Mesa and Aguilar are all on the expensive side - I'd look at used!
    Eden seems to start at about the same as GK's...

11. eight0eight

eight0eight

May 31, 2009
    Boston MA
    Couple good suggestions out there already. Might want to check out the Genz Benz Streamliner series as well. A bit more "tubey" sounding than the Shuttle series and the simpler pre-amp would be easy to fall into.

12. PlungerModerno

PlungerModerno

Apr 12, 2012
    Ireland
    +1 on Genz Benz... haven't tried them yet. They have a lot of fans and good CS.

13. theweed42

theweed42

May 1, 2008
    Thanks for the advice everyone. I definitely want to try the M9 now. And the terror bass too, if it's cleaner than the AD200.

I'm not super familiar with Genz Benz. Whereabouts do they fall on the tone spectrum? What amps would you compare them to?

14. basscooker

basscooker Commercial User

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, Chopshopamps.com
    GENZ for sure. i would say they tend to lean heavily towards hifi, but get dirty if you want. they're very versatile, have transparent DI, weigh almost nothing, and have AMAZING customer service and quality. hell, one of their engineers frequents this forum and can help you if you have questions down the road.
    my $0.02 (even though in this economy it's more like $0.015)