Suggestions Please

Discussion in 'Music [DB]' started by Rob Sleeper, Nov 6, 2005.

1. Rob Sleeper

Rob Sleeper

Oct 13, 2005
    Hey everyone,
    I have a concert in Decemeber with my orchestra at school and if we want to, we can sign up to play a solo at the concert. I would like to play something that the people could really say wow to. Any suggestions on the peice to play?
    Thanks so much,
  2. Peter Ferretti

Peter Ferretti Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2005
    That really depends upon your level of playing. There are a lot of virtuostic Solo's written for bass. My Conductor, Peter Askim, won some awards at the ISB with a few of his solo's. is his website.

The Kussevitsky Concerto is a piece that if played correctly should 'wow' your classmates. It is kind of hard though. The double-stop passage gets a little rough.

The Dragonetti isn't easy, but it isn't hard. A senior shouldn't really have any problems with it. It has some parts in it that will impress peope.

Bottesini wrote a lot of pieces for bass, and all of them sound really nifty. My favort bottesini piece is the Nocturne. Lemur Music has it,

Dittersdorf Concerto is about the same level as dragonetti, but instead of being techincal, its more musical.

The Capuzzi Concerto is really a last resort. It sounds cool, and it's fun to play, but not difficult at all. It is a little hard to grasp musically, it was hard for me in 8th grade, but after some time I got it and preformed it in 9th grade in a competition.

Let us know of your level, and I could probably help more.

3. Rob Sleeper

Rob Sleeper

Oct 13, 2005
    I am a Sophmore in HS so the Koussevitzky concerto might alittle "out of my keague" How do you guys like the Bottesini Elge in D? It sounds very pretty.