Sunday Service

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Jun 19, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I knew things were going to be different today because I used my U-bass for two songs. All I can say is forget about the size: the U-bass sounds HUGE in church. It also sounds so deep that even a C or D on the A or G string sounds low. You don't really need a B string. The U-bass doesn't do bright or growly, but it excels at a clean, deep, acoustic tone. This bass is great to have in my tool kit.

My other bass was my DJ5, last week, I left my Sadowsky preamp at home, today I used my preamp. After service, a fellow deacon asked me was why my bass was unclear last week. I told him, it was because I did not have my preamp. So much for folks not noticing, at least one person missed that active tone.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2016
  2. zontar

zontar

Feb 19, 2014
    J-5
    I've sometimes thought it would be nice to use one on a Sunday--much easier to bring along.

3. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    The U-bass does weigh nothing. If you like a a traditional, acoustic style tone, it is great. If you want an Urban Gospel sound, you will still want a conventional bass guitar.

brocco likes this.
  4. zontar

zontar

Feb 19, 2014
    J-5
    Neither one really--but my SR500F fits in well--at least it did today.

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  5. I'm glad you and the congregation enjoyed the ubass! I think it's a great bass for contemporary Christian! Unfortunately I have had a bit of a run in with a new worship leader about using it. I guess he wasn't comfortable with the appearance of the ubass. That was a couple years ago, but hopefully he has softened his position.

ed morgan likes this.
  6. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    That's the most pitiful thing I have heard in a while. In Gospel, of all music, it should be about the sound, not the look.

7. And that's why I no longer play there.

fretlessguy and Dr. Cheese like this.
  8. Hey Doc what strings are you using on the DJ5? I have switched back to Sadowsky blue SS (short gauge) from DR Fatbeams on my jazz. Amazing clarity & punch if you haven't tried.

9. Glad you debuted your ubass Sunday. I played my exotic mahagony as well. When I play one of my Fenders or Carvins now I get that "oh no" look. They really like my Kalas.

10. ScarfFace

ScarfFace Supporting Member

Aug 23, 2014
    La Crosse WI
    I've been playing my U Bass at church a lot lately too and I really is wonderful. We usually don't have a drummer, and if we do, it's a cajon or djembe and the U Bass forces me to play simpler but more rythmic, which just works in that scenario.

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  11. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I am using Dunlop Marcus Miller Signature strings. They are good, but a bit too short for 35" scale.

12. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I can certainly see that.

13. mrufino1

mrufino1

Aug 2, 2005
    Nutley, NJ
    Awesome! I will say this though, the B string on a 5 string kala is quite good.

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  14. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I bet it is. It would be cool to have one, but I like paying bills too.:smug:

15. mrufino1

mrufino1

Aug 2, 2005
    Nutley, NJ
    Me too, it helps me do that!

16. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 26, 2022