1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Super Bassman 300

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Gougedeye, May 18, 2012.

1. Gougedeye

Gougedeye Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Central Washington
    The Fender Super Bassman I ordered back in March has finally landed! I took it to practice last night and...it was everything I thought it would be and more. A very cool amp! Each of the two channels are great. The ability to blend the vintage with the overdrive is an awesome feature. I have found I needed to push the preamp section a little bit to get the head to open up, but once I did, even at low volumes, you could feel the power! This amp is very present. All the tube goodness one would want. I have a job tonight and will use the SB300 with the Neo 610. I can hardly wait to put it to the test!

gsgbass likes this.
  2. DerekP

DerekP

Jul 24, 2005
    Toronto, On
    Congrats! I love mine, It will see its first gig tomorrow!

3. Gougedeye

Apr 1, 2008
    Central Washington
    Thanks. On thing that is suprising is the bulk of the head. It is about twice as wide as the older Bassmen heads and it feels like it weighs a lot more than its claimed 65 lbs. But, the more I read about the auto bias, the more I like it. This could be the last head and cab I buy.

4. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Very nice rig, sir! Enjoy! :cool:

5. Tim1

Tim1

Sep 9, 2005
    New Zealand
    I agree about the weight and size, it felt as heavy as my SVT. Great amp though - the 100T is more traditional in size and weight (much lighter than the Super 300) and if you don't need the extra volume does it all as well as having a power soak after the power amp section for silent recording. They both sound awesome with the 610 neo cab, I can see Fender shifting a lot of those cabs. Have alook at this thread for others' comments on the cabs:
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f15/fender-bassman-100t-thread-871107/
    I think Fender really have hit the jackpot with their new range - I suppose it will take a while before we can comment on reliability but all looks good so far :).

6. DerekP

DerekP

Jul 24, 2005
    Toronto, On
    66 lbs on my scale, but I do agree is it quite bulky but it's kind of to be expected! I have mine biased 2 notches "hotter" and it's slightly quicker and a little brighter.

7. Gougedeye

Apr 1, 2008
    Central Washington
    I've not even messed with the bias yet. I left it on the normal setting. After tonight, I might change things a bit.

8. Gougedeye

Apr 1, 2008
    Central Washington
    Wow! is all I can say. Now I know I might be a little biased, but this rig absolutely killed it! Room filling bass with out being boomy or overbearing. Super lowend and mid range punch. The only thing I am going to do is run the bias on the warm setting to get a little more highs. Other than that, I could not be happier! Homerun for Fender on this one.

TMARK likes this.
  9. played first gig with sb 300 on sat , real small joint , about 10 meters by 20 meters, so just used a friends ashdown abm 4x10 cab. plugged a road worn p bass into the number 2 input, so icould run it abit harder , used the vintage channel. tone set at 773, vol and master on 5 , playing indie rock stuff , mainly originals , with acouple of covers , polices' deathwish and mollys chamber, three piece , you get the idea. Support band also used it so got to hear it on stage and off, simply sublime tone , fatter and warmer than a sumo in a sauna. got a bigger gig next month and will break out the 810 neo.
    only very small thing , if the channel indicator leds where put below the selector switch they could be seen better as when the amps on a low cab and your standing close to it the leds are sheltered by the overhang of the top. great feedback regards bass sound, love this amp, shes a keeper

10. Gougedeye

Apr 1, 2008
    Central Washington
    If your Neo 810 is anything like my 610, you'll love it! Just tremendous tone and punch and clarity and room filling bass!

11. hi gougedeye, ive noticed on my sb300 that v4 ,the 12at7 tube, has no visible glow coming from it when i was peering in from the front, so i took the front grille off and turned out the light to confirm, and v3 ,the 12ax7a, next to it is plainly glowing, but i see no glow from v4, amp seemd to sound ok, could you check yours please, to see if this is normal ,before i ring up the shop , thanks

12. don't worry guy amp wouldn't work at all f the driver valve was dead

13. christw

christw Get low!

May 11, 2008
    Dayton OH
    THE MADDEST SCIENTIST
    +1

Different tubes, even of the same type, like that 12AT7 can have different structures and show more, less, or even no glow!

14. Freight Train

Freight Train Earth-based Alternative Scientist, Sex Researcher

Feb 25, 2012
    Dallas, Texas
    Hey Gouged-one. Welcome to the club! I've had a Bassman 100T/410 Neo for a couple of months now and in 45+ years of playing, this is the best rig I've ever had. One thing that you said that seems to be a common misconception; the "Blend" control does not blend between the vintage channel and overdrive channel - the two channels are completely discreet and have nothing to do with one another. The blend control blends between the clean, undistorted input of the overdrive channel with the output of the overdrive circuit, so you're blending clean bass with distorted bass. So if you set your blend control on the overdrive channel to 1, you do not have the sound of the vintage channel. It is a totally different, faster sound due to the active tone stack, and maybe more reasons that aren't shown by the block diagram. But just know that nothing you do with the vintage channel will have any effect on the overdrive channel, no matter where the blend control is set.
    Also, someone made a comment about plugging I think it was a passive bass into input #2 so they could drive the channel harder? The drive of the channel isn't determined by the position of the channel volume knob, it's the strength of signal hitting the first stage after the volume control, and if you plug into #2 the signal from the bass is attenuated before it hits anything, so you are working against yourself, plus it will be noisier. If you want to drive the channel harder, you should be in #1, unless it's an active bass and in that case you need the attenuation of input #2, or otherwise it'll distort the initial preamp stage BEFORE the volume control. Of course you may want that if you have no need for a clean sound, but with a passive bass input #1 is where to go.
    Looking at the comments above, people are WAY underestimating the available power of tube amps, and are also way underestimating the ability of these Neo cabs. The Super Bassman is too much head for club gigs in my estimation. I have now played 4 good sized gigs with the 100T/410 Neo with no mains help, the largest in a place about 5000 sq. ft. (around 65'x80'), and very importantly all the gigs had a lot of people at them, so I wasn't just playing to an empty room, which almost any 100 watt amp should do that. I play in a classic rock trio, and I am a very aggressive, upfront bass player, and this little 100 watt rig gave me more punch and balls than my previous rig of a GK 800RB with dual Hartke 410XL's. Of course you're not hurting with a Super Bassman, but what I'm saying is a lot of bassists who play the standard club/bar scene are stuck in relating 100 watts to solid state power, where a 100 watt tube amp is a different beast with a LOT more available punch and headroom, so they are going with the Super Bassman, which is much more suited for large, even stadium-sized gigs, ala the SVT. And by doing that they are missing some very cool features of the 100T that the Super Bassman does not have that are probably more useful to the average gigging and recording musician, plus spending more money and lugging around a heavier, bulkier head than necessary. Again, no one is hurting by owning a Super Bassman, I'm just saying anyone considering these new Bassman amps should take a serious look at the 100T unless you do play huge venues. And I feel like at any venues larger than what I've played so far with 100T I'll have mains help, and from what I can tell the 100T will have plenty of stage volume in that case.
    If anyone is interested I did a detailed review after the first gig with the 100T/410 Neo rig on page 15 of http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f15/fender-bassman-100t-thread-871107/index15.html

petrus61 likes this.
  15. bass151

bass151

Mar 10, 2012
    Seems like most of the posts about the new Fender heads are very positive, but the few on the new neo cabs not so great. I think I remember 1 TB'R taking his apart and reported it had Cheap eminence neo's and poor cab construction. Any thoughts?

16. Freight Train

Feb 25, 2012
    Dallas, Texas
    My thought is the 410 Neo has performed way beyond any expectations I had of a single 4x10, and the thing sounds spectacular in real gigging situations. If any of that is important.

17. Gougedeye

Apr 1, 2008
    Central Washington
    Freight Train, thanks for the info on the blend knob. As far as the performance of my Neo610. It has performed flawlessly, in my opinion. I've used it outside, medium sized club inside, smallish inside gig and it has sounded great at every volume. So I have no issues with it whatsoever. I did read a rather negative review of the Neo 15, but I have not used it, so I can't comment. As far as I'm concerned, this new Fender gear, Super Bassman 300 and the Neo 610 has given me the best bass sound I've ever had! This is my 36th year playing bass, btw. I get more comment on my sound than ever before. So something must be right!

18. Freight Train

Feb 25, 2012
    Dallas, Texas
    +1

19. Tim1

Tim1

Sep 9, 2005
    New Zealand
    I posted earlier that my neo 610 compared very evenly in a side by side comparison with my Bergantino NV610. Frankly, it does not concern me which model Eminence speakers are in the cabinet - they do the job brilliantly and are a perfect match for the head. I think these new neo cabinets rate right up there with the new heads and it is not for me to second guess why Fender chose a certain speaker - they are the designers, not me, and more expensive is not necessarily better in the speaker/cabinet matching world.
    Freight Train, I wholeheartedly agree with you about the power/volume of the 100T - it performs way above any other 100 watt valve head I have owned in the volume stakes. I don't know why, but it just seems to go louder cleaner. I have seriously reconsidered how many head options I need in the light of my experiences with the 100T, to be honest any gig where I could need more grunt there is bound to be FOH support or an SVT or equivalent backline provided. I think I could comfortably live with the 100T as my sole amp if I had to. I think the Super Bassman does the same trick but frankly I did not want the extra weight and bulk, plus I do enjoy pushing the power section sometimes.

20. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    It seems to me this is highly dependent on how much distortion you're comfortable with and the cabs one is using. I noticed in one of your (extremely helpful) reviews that you were getting a good bit of distortion and really digging it. I have not had a chance to try the 100T, but I do own the well-loved '70s Ampeg V-4B. I expected that on top of my NV610 to be stupid loud, but even that combination distorts a little too quickly for my tastes (I like it mostly clean), and the amp's been fully serviced. Consequently, I'm going to be on the hunt for a 200-300 watt tube head soon.

Maybe the 100T delivers more clean volume than the 'peg, but the V-4B has been scoped by TBers mutliple times at 120+ watts, so I'd be surprised if it did.

P.S. Thanks to you and everyone else for their reviews, they're much appreciated.:)