1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Super Bassman, anybody using them with the Ampeg 8-10?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by DeepSouth, Dec 17, 2018.

1. DeepSouth

DeepSouth

Aug 6, 2008
    I recently got a Super Bassman along with a Neo 115 and love it. The 115 is all I need for small gigs.

However I often visit a jam where they have an Ampeg 8-10 set up.
    Haven't been able to use my own head up there to test it with the Bassman tho.
    But that cab makes you feel like the god of thunder!

I see used Ampeg 8-10 all day long at Guitar Center's online for easy to afford prices. But I also see those really sexy looking Fender cabs and can't help but wonder if the Neo 610 would still give me the same punch in the gut...and down the rabbit hole I go.

I know the Ampeg and Fender cab's have some differences but I've never gotten to hear or play one of Fenders big boys in person. I've read lots of posts and everybody seems to love the Fender cabs. But still $500-$600 for a used Ampeg vs $1500 for the fender is something to consider. I've yet to even see a used Fender for sale.

2. Every amp I have ever owned sounded best through and Ampeg 8 10.

GreyMark likes this.
  3. DeepSouth

DeepSouth

Aug 6, 2008
    Good point hah!

4. HOOLIGAN

HOOLIGAN

Dec 21, 2007
    Cowtown, USA
    I have both cabs,and use them (separately) with my Super Bassman. I have used Ampeg 810’s for ever, and they do make any amp sound great. Using the Ampeg fridge with the Super Bassman sounds awesome, and makes me realize that half of that Ampeg “signature sound” lies in the cab.
    I picked the Fender Neo 610 over the Neo 810 in an attempt to downsize a bit from my usual 810’s. I was concerned with not having the extra 2 speakers , and closer to ear level, as well as the Fender being ported rather than the sealed cabs I was used to ( I don’t use the tweeter).

A bit of time with the Fender cab eased my fears, it sounds even better than the Ampeg.
    It goes deeper than the Ampeg, and the notes just bloom around the room no matter where you stand. The 2 fewer speakers isn’t even an issue.
    I use the Ampeg at our practice place, and at gigs where there might be a lot of bands, or might get a little crazy, as the Fender 610 is the 1st cab I bought new, and want to keep it nice.
    On that note, the Tolex and construction is much more durable than any Ampeg I’ve had, and still looks great after 4 years. Last but not least the look of the combination of the Fender head and cab is the coolest looking rig (IMO) that looks great for any genre or stage you play.
    I have seen a few go on sale used for around half price, but I have no regrets paying full price for the best cab I have played.

5. 20160429_164158.
    I did have an SVT810 that I used with my SB, but ultimately sold it and grabbed another Bassman 115.
    If you've already got a 115 Bassman cab, I'd simply get another. The SB thru 2 115s gets insanely loud, so much so, that I rarely have to use em both
    But, when I do, it is certainly brilliant

dbbltime likes this.
  6. BogeyBass

BogeyBass

Sep 14, 2010
    The Mystical Tales of how a sealed cabinet works well with Tube heads is no lie.

There's a certain tight sweet spot in a 810 and always a secret bloom of bass to be unleashed.

Over time even your playing style adapts to the secrets of the sealed 810.

I developed all kinds of neat new tricks my first few months of playing a first new one

You start to approach the neck in a whole new way

Last edited: Dec 17, 2018
    rodl2005 and Batsquatch like this.