Superbassman or v4b?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Santinotafarell, Mar 14, 2021.

1. Goatrope

Goatrope Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Sarasota Florida
    This, minus one cab.
    533BE087-CCC5-4D46-86A7-7CC47115FCB6.jpeg

Santinotafarell likes this.
  2. Agreed. The times I've used upright with SVTs/810s were at festivals and I always had my Fishman Platinum Plus DI, with its eq and HPF (think I shoved a rolled up black T shirt behind bridge too) and was able to get a good sound.
    Tbh, I love using my upright with the all tube amps I've got, actually, I've not used it with the Orange AD200B, but the V4B sounds nice (at home) and the Super Bassman sounds great.
    I'll only take the V4B to a pub gig, if it's a tiny pub, C100 ppl.... and even then, if the band gets real gone, it's distorting pretty well by the end... I'm only using either a 115, or a 410. I don't usually take big cabs to little pubs/ gigs.
    I have used the V4B thru my NV215 and 2 Bassman 115s, and sure it gets louder, but if I'm after clean tube tone.... usually, nope.
    We've gotta new drummer in our rock band, I think he hits a li'l softer. Perhaps the V4B will get another try. But I'll have my TH500 there as back up

3. Santinotafarell likes this.
  4. FronTowardEnemy

FronTowardEnemy It is better to go unnoticed, than to suck Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2006
    Chicago Illinois
    Go for the Super Bassman.
    You won’t be disappointed.

5. mattwear

mattwear

Aug 7, 2006
    Wellington, NZ
    I own both and they both get some use. The V4B is handy for practice but the Super Bassman gets the gigs - Big or small. The tone and texture of the clean channel is unparalleled in my opinion.

6. mattwear

mattwear

Aug 7, 2006
    Wellington, NZ
    The V4B for me has a dryer and honest sound. Whereas the Super Bassman is more fat and juicy. Very much a built in wet signature sound.

7. Santinotafarell

Santinotafarell Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2013
    I'm actually with you wasnex, i dont like an svt with a fridge cab for upright. I like the smaller cabinet pairings, and I could see the svt and 810 as being too boomy/muddy. I have not tried my upright through an svt. I particularly like tube heads at low volumes with upright for strictly a small combo or big band setting. I could see how more flexible eq could be crucial in some situations, but for my gigs i am usually at low enough volume that not much eq is needed, and for larger stuff with upright ( auditorium/ theatre) I always mic and go front of house and figure it out with the sound guy. For me i I also don't think the tone hammer is great for recording upright but it makes a fine local gigging amp. I prefer strictly mics on the instrument for when I record upright. But that's just me! I just haven't found many solid state heads that i like the sound of upright though... Anyway getting off topic but... bass talk is fun XD leaning towards the super bassman with all the positive reviews here. I know I can't be disappointed with the tone on it and am confident with your guys opinion its the better "clean" sounding option, so now It just comes down to deciding on cabs and the money thing and if I want to pass up on having the more portable v4b for the tone and power... Thanks all

Wasnex and rodl2005 like this.
  8. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    I LOVE a fridge for upright myself. Do have to use an outboard EQ when I'm doubling but never when I'm not. Helps that I have a killer upright with a pickup that's awesome (Upton rules!) but I've used them with rentals too, and I can almost always get a good sound out of them with a fridge. Then again, I'm always doubling on rental gigs and I always bring an outboard EQ to make it manageable :D

9. stephenb923

stephenb923 Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2014
    Beacon, New York
    This^ I was just running through my cabs over the weekend and I loved the sound of my upright through the Ampeg heritage 810. First time I tried it. I was using an F Deck HPF to tighten things up, also with the Upton Rev Solo pickup, but that was the sound for me. I have the Bergantino Reference 112 and 210 and have been thinking of trying to find cabs to get the 810 sound in a smaller package. Barefaced Two10's and One10's have me intrigued...Was using the TH500. Hoping to add another tube amp as well which got me reading this thread.

JimmyM and Santinotafarell like this.
  10. Santinotafarell

Santinotafarell Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2013
    Interesting!
    Nice.
    I'm leaning towards the superbassman, and I found one on Craigslist for 1200$, he bought it 2015 and it has less then 10 hours of play on it supposedly. It does look clean and minty in the photos.. My question is it OK for it to sit for that long? Would that be considered near mint or is that a long time for a tube amp to sit? Should I buy used from GC for 1099$ which comes with 45 day return policy? Or is it really worth it to buy new for 1700$? Also getting a neo 115 or two and a used svt pro3 for backup/ small gigs and use with my 110..Thats the plan at least- Thanks!

Last edited: Mar 16, 2021
    JimmyM likes this.
  11. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    Don't know all that much about them, to be honest. Ampeg's been my bass jam since day one :D

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 27, 2021