1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Suppliers of files?

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by A. Munk, Nov 28, 2010.

1. I'm looking to acquire a set of files for string slots.
    Any ideas on what I should be looking for?
    Perhaps some places that I can get them?
    Thanks,
    Munk

2. Rvl

Rvl

Dec 23, 2003
    Aomori Japan
    Check out chainsaw files and other round files at hardware stores
    Also hobby shops have smaller round files in the modelmaking sections
    Also jeweller's files
    And finally check out Stewmac

3. desert hardwood

desert hardwood

Sep 14, 2010
    I have some gauged nut files from StewMac (for guitar work) and they work great, but since bass slots are so big (gut strings) I have to hand shape them anyway. I've had good luck with a cheapo set of jeweler's files from Harbour Freight.

Do the chain saw files come in gauges? I'll look into those.

Make sure you use fine sandpaper to smooth the slots when you are done filing. You don't want anything hanging up a string.

4. Jake deVilliers

Jake deVilliers Commercial User

May 24, 2006
    Crescent Beach, BC
    Owner of The Bass Spa, String Repairman at Long & McQuade Vancouver
    I like the bass nut slot files from Warmoth better than the Stew-Mac stuff - rounder in section for a better slot.

5. "Do the chain saw files come in gauges? I'll look into those."

round,doublecut,full twist:
    3/16,1/4,5/32,13/64,7/32,5/16

pond and deck files get bigger yet.

6. thirtypoint87

thirtypoint87

Feb 9, 2004
    Manager/Repairman: Music-Go-Round
    luthiers mercantile carries nut files www.lmii.com

and you can find anything on ebay!

7. Rvl

Rvl

Dec 23, 2003
    Aomori Japan
    The Warmoth single sided files are made by Hoshino(Ibanez) in Japan,they are on my TO-BUY list but only if I find a complete set used

I have the Warmoth ones with colored handles and find they are too V shaped

8. Jake deVilliers

May 24, 2006
    Crescent Beach, BC

http://www.warmoth.com/Nut-Files-for-Bass-Set-of-7-P46C215.aspx

I'm talking about these ones - they are almost as good as the Grobet Joint Files I have for smaller string slots.

9. Jake deVilliers

May 24, 2006
    Crescent Beach, BC
    I have a very nice 1/8" Nicholson Chain Saw File (.125") that I use to cut 'E' string slots when appropriate.

I still use my 'good' tapered round file for bridge slots. Its habit I guess, but I can make a really good fit by using the correctly-sized part of the file.

10. Rvl

Rvl

Dec 23, 2003
    Aomori Japan
  11. Rvl

Rvl

Dec 23, 2003
    Aomori Japan
    Do you have any links for the Grobet's
    I cant find anywhere that has reasonable International shipping

12. vejesse

vejesse

Apr 8, 2006
    Madison, Wi
    Double Bass Workshop
    The files marketed by Ibanez are the same ones that Allparts and Warmoth sell. Make sure you measure the dimensions because the actual width can vary from the marking. And you might want to check the hardness. I've received files from Stewart Macdonald that were dead soft. I suspect they may have been Chinese knock offs because I know that Stew Mac is having some of their stuff made in China now and the Chinese are still figuring out how to heat treat.

And don't bother trying to find a used set because chances are they will be dull. These files seem to last longer when used for bone but ebony will dull them more quickly. Try not to "hog' off material with these in ebony - the cut is a little fine for wood so it's best to use them at the end. Also, these files tend to create a slightly wider slot than the file is wide because of a slight twist in your wrist. This can make for a slight buzz at the nut on the open E. If you find this is happening, use the next smallest size and re size the width of the slot with a needle file marked at the right width. Or, use this slight rolling action to your advantage to accommodate for a slightly wider string than the file.

That's all I know.

13. Jake deVilliers

May 24, 2006
    Crescent Beach, BC
    Google 'Grobet Joint Files':
    http://www.google.ca/search?q=grobe...s=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

I got mine from Luthier's Mercantile when they used to carry them.

The best price I've seen on line is at the Martin 1833 Shop:
    https://www.martinguitar.com/1833/catalog.php?cat=Kits Parts & Tools&subcat=Luthier Tools

I don't know about their international shipping. If it comes down to it you could have them sent to my address in Blaine, Washington and I'll send them on from there.

Good luck, Jake

14. Thanks all. Great info.
    I knew i could count on you guys!