SVP-CL preamp=same as SVT CL?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by sedan_dad, May 19, 2007.

1. sedan_dad

sedan_dad

Feb 5, 2006
    Columbus,Ohio
    I've done a search on this and haven't found a difinitive answer.
    Is the SVPcl preamp the same as the SVTVR or the SVTCL or neither?
    What about the SVP Pro?

In the 70's ,when you said SVT nobody asked, "VR,CL,Pro,3,4,8"?
    So much useage of the word SVT clouds it's meaning , but thats another topic.

2. It's supposed to be the same than the SVT-CL, the SVT-VR preamp its different.

3. theshadow2001

theshadow2001

Jun 17, 2004
    Ireland
    SVT = Super Valve Technology, can't get much clearer than that

4. The SVPCL recreates the signal path of the preamp in the original SVT with a few extras. Some of the differences are more options in the mid selector and bass boost selector. The SVPCL has a gain as well as a master. As I understand it if you put the master on full and control volume with the gain it's the same as the original SVT. The CL also has an XLR output that the original SVT did not have. Any signal that is possible with the preamp in the original SVT is possible with the SVPCL .

The SVP Pro is the preamp section of the SVT 2 Pro

5. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Mount Prospect, IL
    The SVP-CL is the clean version of Ampeg Tube sound. Warm and punchy and ready for the rock world. The SVT All-tube amps will always sound different when compared to a Pre-amp: the power tubes make the difference. The growl of a tube amp comes from Power Tubes. The SVP-CL does not achieve tube growl like the All-tube SVT does.

6. sedan_dad

sedan_dad

Feb 5, 2006
    Columbus,Ohio
    so a svp-cl is truer to the original svt than a svtcl.

7. sedan_dad

sedan_dad

Feb 5, 2006
    Columbus,Ohio
    I'm toying with the idea of running a SVPcl into the power amp of my SVTcl if it will give me a tone truer to the original.
    The SVT-CL isn't bad but it's not the same.
    Maybe I should quite screwing around and get a older head.

8. theshadow2001

theshadow2001

Jun 17, 2004
    Ireland
    :eyebrow:

Dude your talking about buying pretty much the same preamp as you already have with the exception of a few extra features.

If you want the old sound of an amp hunt one down and buy it.

9. brothernewt

brothernewt Some people call me the stormtrooper of love...

Apr 13, 2004
    Happyrock, OR
    No... the SVP-CL is a different pre than in the SVT-CL. It's unfortunate and confusing that they're named so similarly.

It's a relatively cheap and quick way to get a little closer to the older sound, but just tracking down an old model is good too. I like keeping the Pre around so I can record direct with out a speaker load and still get a pretty similar tone (dispite the trade offer ad I posted).

10. theshadow2001

theshadow2001

Jun 17, 2004
    Ireland
    My mistake I thought the the pre-amp marked CL would be the same pre amp as the head marked CL. In any respect I still say hunt down an old SVT if thats what you want or by a VR

11. The SVP-CL is a different preamp than what is in the SVT-CL. This is definately an unfortunate marketing blunder on the part of Ampeg. With that said, the SVP-CL is a GREAT sounding faithful reproduction of the front end of the ol' SVT. I don't think you can expect it to replace one without a tube power section.

I can't comment on the SVT-CL's capabilities.

12. KingOfAmps

KingOfAmps Inactive

I may be totally off here but I think I've read similar threads before stating the SVP-PRO is actually closer to the originnal. Right?

I'll do a search.

13. KingOfAmps

KingOfAmps Inactive

14. We here in the States don't call thermionic emitters "valves." We call them tubes. "SVT" stands for Super Vacuum Tube, which was Ampeg's marketing to make the model distinct from Standel and Gretsch large solid state bass amps when it was introduced. Yes, it's been tubes versus transistors from the get-go and the SVT's very name was Ampeg's way of saying which they felt was the better of the two. The amp itself is supposedly a derivation of an old record cutting lathe.

15. theshadow2001

theshadow2001

Jun 17, 2004
    Ireland
    http://www.ampeg.com/products/classic/index.html

read the second sentence on that page.

16. KingOfAmps

KingOfAmps Inactive

lots of things have changed at Ampeg...

17. KingOfAmps

KingOfAmps Inactive

"Only In America
    Ampeg needed to compete. The team of amp designer Bill Hughes and Roger Cox—with input from Bob Rufkahr and Dan Armstrong—set about to create what Cox referred to as "the biggest, nastiest bass amplifier the world had ever seen." Using the same sort of madness that drove Dr. Frankenstein, the team came up with a 300-watt all-tube phantasmagoria they called the Super Vacuum Tube—or SVT, to save on vowels."

http://www.ampeg.com/history.html

That's from the same source. Funny that the above appears to be lifted from the Hopkins book. I love the "Only in America" part. "Only in Asia" has a funny ring to it....

18. theshadow2001

theshadow2001

Jun 17, 2004
    Ireland
    Either way its just a buzz word for the same thing. An amp with tubes

19. sedan_dad

sedan_dad

Feb 5, 2006
    Columbus,Ohio
    So a SVP-CL preamp coupled with my existing SVT-CL's power amp would be the same as a SVT-VR.
    I'm sure I can pick up a used pre amp for around $300.
    That's a lot cheaper than buying a new VR or hunting down a GOOD original SVT.
    Jerrold,am I on track here?

20. Sedan,

BTW, is that an old Woody?? HEHE

I have the same set-up: SVPCL & SVT CL. I remember reading here that someone asked this same question and Jerrold said something like"...it should come real close". I could stand corrected though.

The short answer to your original question I thought was "neither". And that was because the old original 69 two channel head had more preamp tubes but I am confused on how the pre signal was routed to the power tubes. Granted, the SVP has one more pre tube than the SVTCL pre, which as far as tubes are concerned PERHAPS give us a CLOSER vintage pre signal.

I'm just speculating here of course. And I have not used both SVP and SVTCL together but am wondering what they would sound like, and am also wondering should I go thru the back or front? (...that's what she said:eek: )

:help:

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 24, 2021