Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SVP-PRO help!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by inazone, Sep 5, 2004.

1. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    I picked up a svp-pro. Two things have jumped out to me. Fisrt is I realy like the sound and tone of this thing. Second, it buzzes like mad! When everything is unplugged except the power cord and its turned on there is an audible hum noise. There is a slight vibration when you touch it as well that seems to match the noise. Is this tubes? I havent ran across this yet, have shows this week and need a fix. Thanks.

2. jawzzz

jawzzz

May 23, 2003
    Denver Colorado
    Yep, it is the tubes. The one I bought from Big Joe, had replacement tubes. I think that they were Chinese of some sort. Any way, it never hummed at all. Open it up and see what tubes are in there.

3. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    Do tubes realy vibrate like that? The tag says it comes with GT tubes.

4. jawzzz

jawzzz

May 23, 2003
    Denver Colorado
    I could be mistaken, but I believe this is is what has happened to most SVP's. I was lucky and bought it used so I am not 100% positive though.

5. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    Thanks for your help, Ill check it out.

6. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    The SVP seems to be picky about tubes. Do a search for Lord Valve and order the set he recommends. They're not expensive or fancy tubes or anything, but they work well in the SVP.

7. jeff schmidt

jeff schmidt no longer red carded, but my butt is still sore.

Aug 27, 2004
    Novato, CA
    Hmmm. I just got one of these new about 2 weeks ago from Musicians Friend - no buzzy.

I do like the tone.

In regular 1/4 out mode it is pretty noisey though. In xlr direct out mode it's clean and clear.

8. CrackBass

CrackBass

Aug 10, 2004
    huntsville,AL
    tubes are tricky animals. my guitarist had the same prob with his head a while back. tubes can be bad right out of the box even groove tubes. sometimes they get a bad batch.(no reflection on the ampeg)hell he even had some of the expensive american tubes go bad(they were brand new) don't feel bad it happens to every one and it's a quick fix. i don't know about ampeg but i had the same prob with a boogie. i called them and they sent me new tubes free. can't beat that.

9. I doubt that the tubes are vibrating. Chances are that the power transformer is the culprit. My blackface SVP-Pro hums a little, but isn't a serious problem.

If it is new, you might be able to send it back. If it is used, see if it is something you can live with. 60Hz hum is annoying, but is not dangerous.

10. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    Thanks for your help guys! The thing has a slight vibration to the touch. Its going back tomarrow. I think Ill pick up a svp-cl.

11. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    I've had mine for a couple of months,and it has not buzzed at all.

12. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

There does seem to be much inconsistency with Ampeg products. My SVP-Pro (retubed by previous owner, as I've mentioned many times :) ) doesn't buzz or rattle, and hiss is minimal at gig volume when no distortion used.

OTOH, the Ampeg SVT3Pro I owned until recently did sputter a bit while warming up (10 mins or so). When I first got it the hiss was more noticeable, but then someone here suggested burning in the tubes: that is, by leaving the amp on for 24 hours straight. I actually left mine on for over 48 hours, and by golly, the noise level did decrease significantly after that.

All that said, the problem with your SVP-Pro seems to be more than just the tubes. Good luck, and please review the SVP-CL if/when you get it!

13. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    Guys, also keep in mind it's normal to have some hiss when you boost treble alot (especially if you have a tweeter/horn) or if you crank up both the master and gain knobs all the way.

14. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    I just realized the original poster was talking about buzz coming from the SVP unit itself, and not thru the speakers. That IS odd. When mine is turned on it makes a makes a warm, soothing hum when your ear is up to it, but no more. The problem you were having is different than bad tubes IMO.