Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SVPCL Vs. BBE BMAX

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by orskard, Sep 27, 2004.

1. orskard

orskard

Mar 17, 2004
    Indiana
    The ampeg pre-amp, has anyone used it or delt with it? it has the 4 tubes and claims to be the same as the Ampeg Classic head. But im wondering how it will sound when paired up with a SS power amp. Can i still get a tube sound? or a tube overdrive sound?

Or should i look at the BBE B-max? Some talk bass members recomended that instead of the Ampeg, what do you think?

or also the Billy sheehan pre amp. it has two channels, one being overdrive...

match the pre up with a QSC RMX1450, on ebay for $299

and for the time being run it with my avatar 2x10

>hanus<

2. ok first of all the power amp does nothing to your tone it just gives you power! you will have a great sound with the ampeg pre-amp,

i think you should look at the BBE b-max T its got tubes and should be cheaper than the ampeg, and it looks cooler.

how many ohms is that 2x10, if it is 4 ohms your crazy
    that would be 1400 watts into a 600 watt cab. thats alot of watts for a 600 watt cab. if it is 8 ohms than you should be fine that is about 900 watts into a 600 watt cab that shoudl be ok.

3. orskard

orskard

Mar 17, 2004
    Indiana
    it is 4 ohms, so 1400 watts into the cab, i know its gunna kill it, but the power amp has a level control so couldnt i just raise that as needed, and not have it running flat out all the time?

in time i hope to add an avatar 2x12 in stereo to make 2 450 watt cabs.

>hanus<

4. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Just checking...have you visited www.basstasters.com?
    Both the BMax pre's are there. No SVP-CL yet, but there's the SVP-Pro and SVP-BSP.

Most (not all) bass tube power amps do have a tubey tone (rounder, phatter).
    SS power amps -- depends on who you talk to, some say they all sound the same (at least well-made ones), some say they sound different.

5. orskard

orskard

Mar 17, 2004
    Indiana
    yes, i did go to basstasters.com

but im still wondering what causes the BMAX T to jump up 200-300 bucks?

does the t stand for tube? but i thought they both have tubes? the bbe is cheaper than the ampeg but the BMAX T is almost more, so whats better??

>hanus<

6. DubDubs

DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    The t does stand for tube. The normal BMax is all solid state while the BMax-t is a tube preamp.

7. orskard

orskard

Mar 17, 2004
    Indiana
  8. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    I posted a review about the svp-cl. It's two or three pages back. Take a look.

9. yea, i gues the b-max t is more than the ampeg

owell it still looks cooler.

go for the ampeg if you really want a tube sound

10. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    The BMax-T has a clean tube sound.
    The SVT-CL I haven't heard yet, but I bet it sounds like an Ampeg (you can probably get some OD out of it).

11. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    Its actualy hard to get od out of the svp-cl. When it warms up you can get a nice, almost gritty tone, but not over drive. Its a thick pre but its very tight as well. The cl pre is very dynamic and do I dare say, almost hifi, while still having the cl ampeg tone. At this piont, its one of the best pre's Ive heard.

12. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    zone,
    Thanks for clarifying.
    I found your review and I'd be interested to hear more after you've gigged with it some more.
    Sounds interesting, especially for the price.
    How much does the mod cost to boost the output level?

13. orskard

orskard

Mar 17, 2004
    Indiana
    doesnt the BBE BMAX have a sonic maximizer built into it? or thats what it looks like... thats a selling point, but the ampeg is an ampeg.

>hanus<

14. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Yep. I've heard some good things about the Sonic Maximizers, but I've never tried one myself.

15. KataPolt

KataPolt

Aug 4, 2004
    I disagree with this. My experience tells me that a large part of what makes bass tube amps sound great is the tube power section.

Does anyone else share this opinion?

16. well i was talkjing about solid state power amps.

17. what does the sonic maximizer do???

18. troll

troll

Aug 31, 2000
    Chicago area
    I have the SVP-BSP and well, I'm not unhappy with it... but something about it has me still looking around in case something better comes along.

I haven't had much chance to use the dirty channel, and when I have it's been blended. It's a really scratchy distortion and it sucks absolutely ANY lows out of your signal. It's eq section leaves a lot to be desired. But if you want to scream high up and sound like a guitar, it accomplishes that well. I guess that makes sense given billies style...

The clean section works just fine, but be careful on the highs, they can bite a bit early. I run it into an rmx1450 as well, into two BXT cabs (115,410) One channel bridged 2 ohms with a custom cable, the other 4 ohms (matches the power of the cabs perfect). I run my maple cirrus 4 pre cranked but mids flat, both pickups full. The pre sits low (pulled out for "ulta-low") and mids usually flat and high flat (not pulled out) and my tweets only quarter way open. I get a very thick meaty but still midrangy honky finger tone, that comes alive when I strum with my fingernails or pop, which I do often. Think of a modern Tool tone with smooth mids (which he is lacking if you ask me :) The rig cranks and every note high or low is right in your face (or rumbling your ass). Oh, I run a compressor/limiter on the way into the pre to even out the input signal and my own dynamics, I think that was the key to the tone I currently have.

I wonder if chaning pres would alter my sound all that much, or if I'd end up just dialing in near what I already have, and in that regard if it would even be worth messing with :)

Troll