Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sweet Thing - Van Morrison

Discussion in 'Music [DB]' started by JJsBassbeatblue, Mar 7, 2004.

1. I need the time signature for this song. iv sat and listened to it and i still dont get it. i thought it was 3/4 but it seems to change from bar to bar. i have asked two drummers and neither could help me (no suprise realy). if anyone has any ideas it would be much appreciated Cheers

2. bass_means_LOW

bass_means_LOW

Apr 12, 2004
    Las Vegas
    Up to you what you have going on, but aren't there other compositions you can study? I met Mr Morrison in Lisbon about 10 years ago. If the tune is that out, maybe the musicians that did the session can't remember what they did. Pass go and collect 100 more compositions.

3. plimpton

plimpton

Sep 2, 2013
    I know it's a decade or so hence, but maybe this will help someone searching - 6/8 seems to fit metrically. Very loosely played of course. Legend has it that they put Van in a control booth with his guitar, then the musicians followed along later when adding the extra tracks. That would explain the give and take throughout much of Astral Weeks.