1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Sweet tones and Grunty bass.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Rhythmik, Sep 26, 2008.

1. Rhythmik

Rhythmik

Sep 26, 2008
    Hi guys, I am looking for some advice.

I had a play of a number of basses today at my local music store, and after about four hours i'm getting some idea of what I want. I produce electronic music so i have quite a fussy ear.

I really loved the sweet colourful tones of the fender jazz 24, particulary in the high notes on the top string. Yummy!

The only thing that held me back was it's lack of a certain type of grunt in the lower notes. When i played a LTD bass (i think it may have been the ltd b50, or possible a model up) it had a much grundier fat as **** grunt on the low notes. Bit more greety oposed to the smoother low end on the fender.

My question is, is there a balance between these two? Something with growly bottom end but a really sweet colourful tone on the higher notes.

I also had a play on the fender jaguar and found that quite nice.

Any advice would be appriciated, i played guitar years ago and only decided today i want to get into bass.

Thanks in advance :)
    Mick

2. Rhythmik

Rhythmik

Sep 26, 2008
    Also i loved the control over tone you had on the Fender Jazz 24 with four knobs.

and sorry for the double post, tried to delete one but it wont let me.

3. GassieBall

GassieBall

Oct 15, 2006
    I would suggest Warwick for something growly/grunty. Or perhaps Musicman. An active bass would allow you to accentuate the freq's you're looking for more easily.

4. cigi

cigi

Aug 22, 2006
    The 24 is active, but you've got to have a bass that has a grunty tone. If the pre map isnt voiced correctly it will not help you at all.

passive basses can be perfectly gruntly, altough I think your right about the musicman.

5. vegas532

vegas532 Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2006
    Pensacola, FL.
    Another vote for trying a Musicman. It's active and has sweet, glassy highs, but it also growls like a mother in the low end.

6. Aye...

I don't have extended time on a MM so I can't say how they are in the upper registers, but they have a nice growly bottom/mid.

I can say that my 'wick Thumb has the same low-end (or better:smug:), and has a super warm top end. It does loose some of the growl up top, but still maintains a nice thick organic tone up to the 24th fret of the G string.

7. fcoda

fcoda

Jan 23, 2002
    Nanuet,NY
    +1 on the MM you can also try lakland 4401-4402 0r 5501-5502 if youneed a 5r