1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

switch to powered speaker

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by tito mangialajo, Apr 19, 2006.

1. tito mangialajo

tito mangialajo

Feb 1, 2006
    hi,
    after reading yours suggestions on the post "vote a microphone"( thanks everybody), I'm convinced to switch from the old gk MB 200 ("an old standard but non hi-fi amp") to a powered speaker. I think is a good option because i like the sound of the Solstice and his extreme versatility and maybe is fine to couple it to a good powered speaker.
    EA wizzy, Bergantino IP 112, jbl eon, shertler pub, other?
    Can you say something?
    Thanks everybodys, Tito.

2. jeffpau

jeffpau

Jun 17, 2003
    Paris, France
    Hi Tito,

Funny, I also recently switch from an MK200 combo (same as MB200 but for keyboard) to a powered speaker

I found this low-priced one :
    http://www.thomann.de/thoiw9_the_box_pa302a_biamped_fullrangebox_prodinfo.html

Very good surprise with a dyn-b and a Pre-IIA. It give me one of the best live sound I never had.

Not so clear than Schertler Pub but really close or as good as JBL Eon or Mackie SRM450. Very subjective of course but at this price, not a big risk...

You can find the same but less powered (and less priced) if you prefer.

No fear for the price : it's not a cheap toy : very serious construction.

Good musik !!!!!!!!

Jeff

3. tito mangialajo

tito mangialajo

Feb 1, 2006
    thankyou jeff, I chek it out on the site.
    very interesting.
    someone has other suggestions?
    ciao, tito.

4. Boppingtheory

Boppingtheory

Aug 27, 2001
    Italy
    Ciao Tito,
    I will suggest this small yet powerful and very defined active speaker, especially suitable for doublebass (project and construction by the same technicians of the Schertler Pub 2/280) ;)
    http://www.sr-tech.net/club3001.htm

5. I've had good results with RCF powered speakers in my PA hire rig - very reliable, loud, the built-in limiter protects them well, and they sound much bigger than their size indicates. Smoother sound than JBL & Mackie.
    http://www.gtaust.com/products/rcf/art315a.shtml

6. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    I don't own any, but tried one of the 10" powered Mackie SRM350
    It has built in loudness contouring. It sounded very good. I'm still thinking about it.

7. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I would very highly recommend the Bergantino IP112. I've been able to try pretty much all of the IP line, and they flat out amaze me. The best tone I have heard, period. I posted some thoughts on the IP112 (and the HT112 and EA Wizzy) with upright and with electric here.

Tom.

8. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    That speaker looks great. Does it sound like the PUB?

9. Boppingtheory

Boppingtheory

Aug 27, 2001
    Italy
    Hi Chris,
    I think the Club 300/A by SR Technology sounds just a bit smoother in the highier frequencies range than the Schertler 2/280:in any case they are both wonderful active speakers for our instrument ;)

10. Looks good. but how little power would be required, when I'm only gonna use the speaker as stage-monitor since I always go into to house system? Would this do the job for that. It is very cheap but looks quite sturdy. The problem is, would 100 Watts be too little power? I'm counting on using a Behringer ADI21 or V-amp pro as preamp. Yes, you've guessed it, I'm chronically short on cash ;)

EDIT: I've also considered the PA 202A (this one) which has 200 watt, I must admit, the price really makes a difference to me. Would this do the job in case the monitor model would not?

11. jeffpau

jeffpau

Jun 17, 2003
    Paris, France
    I'm afraid this monitor will to short in terms of power (of course, it depends of your band, of your drummer) and low frequencies...

PA 202A is probably a better choice for you (I'm personnaly alwyas surprised by the quality of the PA302A).
    It's more confortable to have a small reserve of power.

good luck !!
    Jeff

12. That's also what I have ordered. Yesterday i posted my order of a Behringer V-amp pro and the PA202A.

EDIT: I'm really excited about this order and I can't hardly wait for it to arrive.

13. bassame

bassame

Mar 25, 2004
    Brooklyn NY
    Don't forget to give us a report when you have tried it out. Thanks.:hyper:

14. Couple of days ago I received my Behringer Bass V-amp Pro and the Box powered speaker.

First of all, I have to admit I don't have much to refer to, since this is my first amplification system for double bass. But initially, I'm quite impressed. The reproduction of my bass is good, though my p.u. really sucks. I haven't had that much time for trying the system with my upright but it (naturally) worked the best when I bypassed the amp simulations and cut the effects, the sound reproduction was, as mentioned good, nice and clear. I haven't had time to see if there are some of the amp simulations that improve the acoustic sound. By the way, I didn't seem to have any problems at all with feedback even when i turned the V-amp all the way up. I didn't even have to use my eq dialing down the low frequencies to avoid feedback,

With my electric bass it was an awesome toy, lots of funny and great sounds and simulations.

I have yet to try the system live, which I'll have my first oppurtunity of sunday, so hopefulle I'll try and tell a bit more about my experiences then.

Furthermore, I received a K&M stool and a footrest. It is very recommendable (if that's a word) if you need a stool for playing.