Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SWR Cabs? How do they rank?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Andy Brown, Jan 13, 2005.

1. Andy Brown

Andy Brown Supporting Member

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Founder: Wing Bass
    It looks like GC is going 50% on SWR cabs this month. How do they rank with the likes of Bag End, etc..? I was originally going to splurge on a S15-D for my GK MB150, but if the SWR's are less expensive and equal quality or more expensive and better quality, I may check them out. Looks like list is about $570 or so for a 1x15.

2. BassDemon

BassDemon

May 18, 2004
    I really like my SWR SOB 1x15 but I have to say SWR quality has dropped off over recent years.

Examples - the name plate on my SOB fell off. I had to glue it back on.

My Bib Ben 1x18 has two speakon jacks on the back but only 1 has ever worked. I check the wiring and can't see anthing wrong, maybe the plug is stuffed ?

the above cabs were built in late 2002 / early 2003

Contrast with my Goliath III built in 1999, it has been abused to the max but has no faults and minimal wear.

If you are buying I'd only look at the pro series gear and then I'd reject anything with any faults.

3. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    SWR stuff I've come across lately has been pretty rank indeed. Sounds good in the store at meek little volumes, but the amps don't seem to have half the power they're rated at and the cabs can't handle the power they're rated at. Maybe an all SWR setup would be OK, but probably still quiet. If you like the tone and use your amp as an on stage monitor, with the PA being the thing that gets you heard, it could be OK. Of course lots of people swear by SWR. I like things loud and built rugged.

4. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Bag End cabinets are built about 10 miles from my house so I say buy Bag End...and no, I don't work there :crying:

Tonally, I prefer the Workingman's series cabinets to the Pro series...(warmer, more present mids) but that's me.

5. Tunaman

Tunaman

Dec 26, 2004
    Boston
    SWR isn't bad, I've had my Senior for a while now & it gets a different tone, great for punk, ska, alternative & slap. I did a side by side with a 4x10 from SWR & Eden and didn't see a really significant difference. Whats your playing style? I think that question is omitted way too often around here because that makes all the difference in even giving you a thoughtful opinion.

6. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    +1 for BagEnd :ninja:

7. I personally do not care for any of the SWR stuff. I have played Ampeg, Eden, and currently play a full GK rig. I just cant get the tone in my head to come out of anything SWR that Ive tried.

8. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    Is that just for the Workingman's series stuff that's being blown out everywhere, or does it include the pro line cabs?

I'm looking for a 4-Ohm Goliath III and half off would just about work for me.

9. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Rumor has it they are coming out with a new line of cabs. Working pro or something like that. Don't know if that means they are discontinuing a line or not.

10. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    Apparently FMIC is.

I went into GC today to see what I could do toward getting a Goliath III in 4-Ohm, but it's ONLY the MIM Workingman's stuff that's on sale, not the MIA Pro line. :meh:

11. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Check around for used cabs. Used SWR stuff is selling at super low prices these days. Just make sure you check out the speakers to make sure they are in good shape. The replacement PAS10's for SWR cabs are $130 each.

12. I don't know about the new ones but I never had any problems with either my 2 X 10 (Goliath junior) or my 6 X 10 (Goliath Senior)...

13. DaBassman

DaBassman

Mar 25, 2002
    Oneonta, NY
    I understand that SWR was bought out by Fender a year or so ago. I have a 5 year old Workingman 15, it's great.
    I have an Ampeg porta bass cab for my old GKMB200, it sounds real nice.

14. amper

amper

Dec 4, 2002
    US
    You want to hear a nice cab? Go play an SWR 4x12...righteous, I tell you.

One of these days I'll get around to replacing my Trace Elliot cabs with two Sons of Bertha, to go along with my SWR 'Stella/Power 750 rig.

BTW, this setup is quite loud, I assure, you...

15. clearskies2

clearskies2

Jan 11, 2005
    chicago,IL
    I've been using SWR products for a while and haven't had any problems with it. SWR just announced a new line of amps called the Working Pro series . I don't know if it's going to replace the Workingman Series. It's on their website.

www.swrsound.com

16. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    t WorkingPro at M.F.

17. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    That would explain why Guitar Center is selling the now discontinued, I mean "retired" (in value-adding beanie baby speak), Workingman cabinets for 50% off...

SWR WorkingPro series...New, improved and gender neutral.

18. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    I've been looking for a 4-Ohm Goliath III for some time with no luck. Quite a few 8-Ohms, but no fours... :meh:

19. RandyLane04

RandyLane04

Apr 28, 2004
    Yes, GC is advertising "half-price" but check out what that really means. They are selling SWRs for more money than the online guys. But you do save on the shipping. But you have to pay sales tax at GC. It's up to you. I buy a lot of stuff at GC and a lot of stuff online too. So I try to keep everybody happy.

20. I've played on their Goliath III's, and I wasnt too impressed, the Son of Bertha is a really nice cabinet though. I would never puchase an SWR amp head. I've tried a few and just couldnt get any sound worth keeping out of them. All of that aside, I'm currently using a 4 year old SWR Megoliath (that is their 8x10 pro cabinet) and I make no plans of ever purchasing a different cabinet. The sound of this monster is amazing and has tons of power to spare, whoever said that SWR gear is weak, I've found that to be true in their amps and smaller cabinets, I guess I just got the diamond in the rough though, as the fella says. Just purchased a Genz Benz 600, havent had the chance to pair them up yet, but I'm really looking foreward to it.