Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SX Project Complete ...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by IotaNet, Feb 13, 2006.

1. IotaNet

IotaNet Supporting Member

I decided to get an SX (Essex for the search engine), clean it up electronically/cosmetically, and see what $119 would get me ...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Verdict: She doesn't sound bad at all and she's a pretty good (if unusual) looker.

Pretty decent deal for $119, wouldn't you say? ;)

2. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    outstanding job,wow i send mine to you and made the same job,wow

3. Wow. That indeed is a looker.:hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

4. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    1) Where did you get the black pickup cover?

2) Are you going to complete the black hardware look and get a black bridge?

I'm not crazy about the Strat-style knobs, but to each his own. It's still a great looking bass! :)

5. Fong249

Fong249

May 25, 2005
    Washington, DC
    Howabout a pic of your control Cav :) Any shielding work done? Mine need a little, with max tone i only get a little buzz. I'll get some pics up soon of my baby, once i get this tort pg .... :)

6. How is the neck of that bass, is it thin by the nut? I've been looking for a cheap J but also for a low budget guitar. I can't decide which to get....

7. very nice color/ p-guard combo. looks great.:cool:

8. irjason

irjason Supporting Member

Nov 17, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    I like that pickguard on there more and more as I look at it.

9. bassksun

bassksun Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2004
    Las Vegas,NV
    Oooooh niiiice! The pup cover is a good touch.

Peace

10. Oxblood

Oxblood Banned

Apr 17, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    That thing would be smoooookin' with a black bridge and tuners! Great work btw.

11. IotaNet

Thanks!

1) That pickup cover started life as a chrome cheapie from EBay. I took it to a shop that does powder-coating and they made it black. Cost me $13 for the unit and $12 for the powder coating.

2) I'll probably get a black bridge but only if I can find a cheap/used one. It makes no sense to put a $75 bridge on a $120 bass.

Regarding the strat-style knobs, IMO, they add a kind of "old-school" touch. What I really wanted were the Sadowsky/Nino Valenti styled knobs but I don't know how/where to get them. :help:

The nut width is 1.5 inches but unfortunately, this neck is significantly thicker than a standard Fender Jazz bass. It's not "baseball-bat' proportions but it's not slim as I might have liked. I'll get over it.

Believe it or not, that pickguard is Black pearloid. Between the ambient light and the color of the bass, it takes on a bluish cast -- especially in pictures.

I agree and again, if I can find some cheap tuners in black, I'm in there.

Truthfully, a new bridge and tuners wouldn't hurt this bass. The original components aren't bad but the upgrades would be better. That said, I won't spend crazy money on upgrading this thing. For example, a J-Retro would be the BOMB ... but $300-400 worth of parts in a $120 bass? Hmmmm -- I'm not sure about that. :eyebrow:

12. dave120

dave120

Jun 27, 2005
    Central Florida
    If you want to get black tuners, I'd recommend the Mighty Mite ones from guitarelectronics.com. They're pretty smooth, much more so than the stock SX ones, and cost like $30. You will have to do some slight fitment work to them though. I had to open up the peg holes a little for the new bushings, and the holes on the back don't line up so you have to make new ones. But the new tuners completely cover the old holes so it looks clean when you get done. IMO the black goes great with the tint of these necks. Here's what mine look like from my thread.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. It looks stunning, actually makes me want to buy one and try to make it my own. But a curious question, how much did you put into the bass $$ wise?

14. IotaNet

$ 119 - Bass
    $ 00 - Strings (DR Fat Beams that I had in my parts drawer)
    $ 17 - Pickguard (used - from EBay)
    $ 13 - Pickup cover (From EBay)
    $ 12 - Pickup cover painted
    $ ?? - Black control plate (I have no idea -- it was in my parts drawer)
    $ 6 - Knobs
    $167 - Total

15. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    What size are the keyholes on that headstock? I would suspect 11/16".

16. Tage

Tage

Sep 17, 2003
    Were they selling a maple-neck'd Jazz at the time of your purchase, or is that a different neck you put on?

Last I checked, the only maple necked basses in that color with a maple neck from Rondo is a 3/4 scale Precision.

17. IotaNet

Tage -

When I bought it, it had the maple neck. (I picked the maple version on purpose.)

Rondo tends to flow in-and-out of stock on certain models on a week to week basis. For example, when I bought my bass, they didn't have any of the natural-finish ash bodied basses. Now there are several.

18. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    I like it a lot, that pg looks killer with the maple fretboard. If I were you, I´d throw away those g***** knobs and put some decent Jazzknobs.

Congrats!!!!:bassist: