Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Symmetrical basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Alvaro Martín Gómez A., Nov 13, 2005.

1. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

Hi everybody.

After looking to my collection of KISS pictures, I've noticed that Gene Simmons has played symmetrical basses during most of his career. The Punisher and his Charlie LoBue are the most prominent examples, but aside from Gene's instruments, the Hofners and highest-end Alembics I can't think of other symmetrical instruments, so I'd like you to post pics of basses shaped this way. Thank you very much in advance.

2. hmmmm...

Gibson and EPI SG and Flying V shaped basses...

Steinbergers....

3. Akami

Akami Four on the floor

I was immediately thinking of the Warwick Jack Bruce that I saw last week. True, it is an SG shape...

I guess one of the reasons the bass isn't symmetrical is that we play it off to one side, whereas the upright bass is largely aligned virtually parallel to our body, hence no need for balance issues to affect the shape.

The balance issue is what brought Fender to start making extended upper bouts in the first place.

How about the original Barker Bass! Oh yeah, it's played verically and even it evolved into a non-symmetrical shape. ;)

4. danelectro longhorn and shorthorn

5. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Gene Simmons Punisher Bass

[​IMG]

Steinberger XL-2

6. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    The SG shape is actually slightly non symetrical with a deeper cutaway on the trebble side.

7. Akami

Akami Four on the floor

I guess I had never looked that closely, including when I owned one, but upon checking some pics online it really appears that if anything the upper bout is just the tiniest bit longer with both cutaways equal.

Then again, it could be my eyes! :)

I'm going to the music stores right now and will look to see if there's anything else that truly qualifies as symmetrical.

8. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Aside from the fact that I have been around them a ton being in bands, I only noticed this a month or two ago after working in a guitar store for around a year and a half.

Its very slight

9. 7flat5

7flat5

Nov 28, 2003
    Upstate NY
    The horns on the post-slab-body "SG" style Gibsons, EB0, EB3, and I assume the later maple ones too, are definitely a little assymetrical. I have a '67 EB0 downstairs, and can vouch for the larger cut-away on the "treble" side. They also have some carving that makes them even more uneven top-to-bottom.

I also believe that the Rippers, Grabbers, G3, etc. Gibsons are not really symmetrical either, and I assume those were being referred to in the original post re: Mr. Simmons, inaddition to the custom basses he bought.

10. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    Also, the Vox teardrop bass.

11. kelbrihan

kelbrihan Banned [Deceiving users with multiple usernames] Banned

Dec 2, 2004
    Hamer put out one that Jack Blades from Night Ranger used to play also S.D. Curlee, they looked like a Gibson Les Paul Jr.

12. Greg Johnsen

Greg Johnsen

May 1, 2005
    Hickory NC
    daisy rock heartbreaker, and the flower one, I'm pretty sure that those are symmetrical, but they're too feminine for Simmons.

Greg

13. kidcharlemagne

kidcharlemagne

Mar 23, 2005
    London
    The Status KingBass (www.status-graphite.com) is pretty much symmetrical - one cutaway is a touch deeper than the other one, but only by a matter of a millimetre or so.

Now I think about it, the KingBass body shape is very reminiscent of the classic small-body Alembic shape as played by Stanley Clarke.

K.

14. Lo end PUNCH

Lo end PUNCH

Jan 28, 2005
    Racine,Wi
    Schecter and Ibanez have a symmetrical model out now. dont see many ERB's in symmetrical shapes though.

15. BadComrade

BadComrade

May 18, 2005
    Chicago
    [​IMG]

My 1977 Travis Bean TB4000 "wedge" is symetrical, and that's one of the reasons why I bought it. I'm left-handed, and couldn't find a lefty "standard" TB2000, so I went ahead and bought the TB4000 (one of only 36 made) because it looks the same upside down. Of COURSE 6 months after I bought the "wedge", I found the lefty TB2000 (the black one). I love them both... even more than my lefty 1990 Fodera Anthony Jackson Contrabass :)

16. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
  17. mcbrat

mcbrat Electra Outlaw

Dec 22, 2004
    here's an Electra outlaw MPC Bass.

[​IMG]

18. plexibass

plexibass