Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Symphony No. 40 in G minor bass part

Discussion in 'Music [DB]' started by tbassist4, Sep 2, 2005.

1. Does anyone know where i can get just the bass part of this piece, hopefully for free if possible? I want to have this to practice so i can improve technique and things, i like to play with recordings. Any help would be greatly appriciated!

2. I assume this is the Mozart No. 40?

You can buy the Zimmerman part in the Complete Double Bass Parts of selected works of Mozart, Haydn, and Weber. Try lemur music.

3. Illfavor

Illfavor

Mar 9, 2005
    DFW
    Well you cant really get it anywhere for free legally, but the University of Oklahoma Symphony has it posted in the Bass Auditions section. You could theoretically print it off from there if you wanted. It's only the most difficult part.

4. You can't? I thought no one had the copyright on these things. I've always wondered about that. That's funny, cause I've found at least two full scores for free on the web, and I'm pretty certain they aren't illegal. The only reason I don't print that off is that its 49 printed pages and its a full score with all the parts on it. Well, thanks for the help, I might just have to copy it from the full score...thats going to take a while...haha. Well, thanks for the help!

5. The music itself is public domain, but most editions are not. If one of us were to personally enter the bass part into Finale and edit it ourselves, that would be perfectly legitimate. I just don't know where you'd find that.

6. yeah, they had a version on finale showcase, but its only a small section. haha so close, if it was the full score i could have just extracted the bass part...ohwell

7. Peter Ferretti

Peter Ferretti Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2005
    NYC
    Buy the zimmerman. It is around 14 bucks, and gives you a lot of the music used on audition material. All of the books are really usefull. I have the mozart one, the beethoven one, the strauss one, the bach one,the mahler one, they are all lifesavers for auditions.

8. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    If you're planning on doing conservatory stuff, you'd do well to actually buy it. I don't know about the US, but with the Canadian Conservatories, you're automatically failed if the notation you bring in photocopied or anything like that.

9. That doesn't make much sense to me. I like to photocopy my own music so I can put it in a notebook that's easier to use than Zimmerman's clunky books.

10. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    T'is to discourage notation piracy.

11. I understand that, but it's like prosecuting someone for making mp3's of music they already own on record. There's a difference between photocopying my own music for my own use and using photocopies of other people's sheet music.

12. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Agreed. But if you've got the original sheets, I'm sure bringing the Zimmerman book -- clunky as it is -- is worth passing your RCM exam, ne?