Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

System Of a Down/Linkin Park/Slipknot

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by MOK BASS #1, Feb 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I Was Just wondering what people taut of the following bass players:Shavo(system of a down)Phoenix(linkin Park)and Paul gray(slipknot)
    I think they are all real good.id like 2 hear others opinions.

Thanks

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Heh.

3. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    That dude from Linkin Park is probably one of the poorest professional bassists (he's making tons of money anyway) I've ever seen..listen to their tracks..do you hear any bass? I don't, he just plays one rootnote a bar, thats it..pretty lame if you ask me.

The other ones, dunno, they're ok I guess, nothing special.

4. Shavo is okay

5. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    Paul Grey is a very good bassist download Confessions by Slipknot. It is from their first cd where they had a diferent vocalist and guitarist (instead of Jim Root they had Donnie Steele then Josh Brainard recorded the self titled cd and left to later form On a Pale Horse).

Basically anything from the Mate. Feed. Kill. Repeat. album is great for bass. They have some funk and just really different things in there while also being very heavy. This is my favorite album by them btw. Do Nothing/Bitchslap is another great one.

The new slipknot disc he gets let loose a little bit but you have to really listen for it. I caught some really great lines that I hadn't heard before after having the cd since the day it was released.

Linkin park. Do they even have a bassist? I thought they just had that horrible guitarist...

6. Cool Man its good to hear sum1 who actually likes paul grays bass skills.im going 2 d download festival in june(Slayer/System of a down/Slipknot r playn there)it shud rock!ya lp do hav a bass>u just hav 2 listen real hard 4 it!wat do u think of Shavo(SOAD)?

7. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I wouldn't know. My radio and television have inferior bass reception.

8. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

Aug 21, 2004
    Onatrio.Canada
    What?

I like Shavo all right. Hate Linkin Park. Never really heard much of Slipknot, but sound like they're worth a check-out.

peace
    johnny

9. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    I think he said Linkin Park has a bassist...I looked it up and they do but they don't give their real name just 'Phoenix'. Which is smart of them to get paid and no one knows they are involved in this band. :)

As you can tell I am not a LP fan at all. Way too formulaic light part>scream chorus>soft part/bridge>scream some more>soft part>end

almost every song follows this pattern to a T. I bought their debut cd and that's as far as I'll go. Especially after the Reanimation and Jay-Z projects.

Shavo is pretty good. I haven't really liked them much after Toxicity. They have gone into some kind of 'lets be as strange sounding as possible thing' but, their newest single is pretty good!
    I just want to steal his Thunderbird mostly though... :bag:

10. Shavo's pretty good, I like him. :)

Paul Gray doesn't seem to do anything great in most of Slipknots music (maybe I'm just missing something). Although he did a good job on the MFKR album I believe and I must say he holds down a nice groove on the song 'The Virus Of Life' from their latest album.

I've never heard anything even half decent from the LP guy.

11. yea he does sum pretty good slapping, but i don't really like slipknot. My drummer loves them because of Joey, their drummer.

Shavo is an ok bassist. Linkin Park should do us all a favour and quit.

12. +1

13. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

This post gave me a headache.

14. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    About Shavo: The guitarist, Daron (?) writes all the basslines.

15. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Wow, I can't believe I read the whole thing....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.