1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Tab Generator?

Discussion in 'Tablature and Notation [BG]' started by personologyman, Apr 25, 2009.

1. personologyman

personologyman

May 6, 2008
    As we all know you can now download programs that will catch streaming video in the likes of Youtube, Google Video, etc... saved right to your computer, and other programs to slow down the videos... BUT does anyone know of a program that will generate tabs or sheet music in a similar fashion? Trying to tab out fusion is difficult, is there a program that can do it for me that anyone knows of???

Thanks
    :bassist:

2. You mean having some kind of audio stream and create tabs out of that "automagically"?
    There's no such thing and most likely never will be....

3. paul_wolfe

paul_wolfe

Mar 8, 2009
    London

+1

4. xaxxat

xaxxat Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2008
  5. yeah, I actually read an article about this (or a similar) project.
    There was another one with a software that was able to isolate certain instruments from an audio stream.

But hey, reality strikes again ;) Some things might be possible in some science labs but who knows when they will hit our home offices.....

6. xaxxat

xaxxat Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2008
    There's probably more than one mad scientist-bassist who wants to learn a bunch of songs but just doesn't have the time to work them out. Hopefully they'll help a brutha out...

I think there's something out called "12 keys" that's aimed for pianists.

7. BASE

BASE

Mar 27, 2006
    Around 2004, I googled the subject. I found there is research being done and it was largely at the midi / keyboard level at the time. There's two classifications, I think it's monophonic and polyphonic. Monophonic means grabbing a single note from a single instrument at a time. Polyphonic means grabbing more than one note at a time from one or more instruments.

The impression I got was that the technology and ability to pull off monophonic transcription was barely there and polyphonic transcription was way off into the future. I did find a website or two with a program boldly professing monophonic transcribing ability. Whatever the name of it was, the program was a joke.

So as of 2004, what I saw is work is being done in this area, but unless they resurrect Tesla or something lol, there's probably going to be a wait.