1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tablets for live work

Discussion in 'Accessories [BG] - NEW!' started by juancaminos, Nov 15, 2018.

1. juancaminos

juancaminos Supporting Member

May 30, 2003
    USA, Phoenix, AZ
    I have a Galaxy Note 10.1 and a Galaxy Tab A 8", I'm wondering what you fellow tablet folks use for lyric and crib note document programs? Each of these came with their own "Word Document" programs. But I don't find them all that word friendly. Thanks

2. Lesfunk

Lesfunk Supporting Member

There are many
    I use On Song

Garret Graves likes this.
  3. filmtex

filmtex Commercial User

May 29, 2011
    Annsman Pro Audio Dealer
    I use an iPad Pro. Been using it for a couple years with the Song Book app and connected to my Dropbox account. Works flawlessly. .pro files can be transposed and Song Book allows me to change font and size virtually on the fly. Right now I have well over 800 songs charted. I have an older iPad 2 with me as a back up, and other than the speed difference and battery life, it does the job quite well too.

4. juancaminos

May 30, 2003
    USA, Phoenix, AZ
    I have a hundred songs and cheat sheets plus several set lists in MS Word. So I'd like an app that can transfer those from PC to Tablet. Your right I just looked into on song and song book on my tablets and a whole host of others came up. So it looks like I have some homework to do.

5. NeonNobody

NeonNobody

May 14, 2018
    I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab A 10.1" that I use for music/lyrics. The app I use is called MobileSheets Pro. It's pricey, but it's incredibly powerful. It doesn't support .doc extensions, but it's easy enough to convert .doc into a pdf through Word.

elgecko, ak56 and juancaminos like this.
  6. juancaminos

May 30, 2003
    USA, Phoenix, AZ
    $13.00?

elgecko likes this.
  7. ak56

ak56 Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2015
    Carnation, Wa
    Another vote for Mobilesheets Pro

8. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    For Android, Mobilesheets is where it's at. I guess it's expensive as far as apps go but it's well worth the money.

9. juancaminos

May 30, 2003
    USA, Phoenix, AZ
    OK, downloaded Mobilesheets pro and the companion app for my PC. I have to convert all of my doc files to pdf?

10. RustyAxe

RustyAxe

Jul 8, 2008
    Connecticut
    Songbook ... LinkeSOFT SongBook Songs and Chords

Uses simple text files in ChordPro format (interchangeable with other similar apps like OnSong). Versions for Android, iOS, MacOS, and Windows devices. Data files are interchangeable. Inexpensive.

11. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I write chord charts in OpenOffice which I export as .pdf files into ForScore for my iPad.

12. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    no comment on tablets for lyric/chart/setlist use*, but for mixing my own in-ear monitors with all the various digital boards out there i've figured out that ipad is king, that's the format which maybe every single digital mixer made today has an app for.

i keep an ipad mini with my personal in-ear monitor rack and it fits the bill every single time.

OK one comment; i do an occasional "rock-y-oke" gig where guests get up and sing with my band, and i've figured out that the fastest and easiest way to provide them with lyrics for all the songs we know is rather than any kind of special lyric organizer app we just go online to a lyrics website like AZlyrics and download them song by song onto my big ipad pro which i put on a stand.

13. My band uses tablets, both android and ipad. We need them for individual monitor mixes on our X-18 digital mixer. We also need our tablets for BandHelper, the best band organization system I've used.

14. BassChuck

BassChuck Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Cincinnati
    iPad and ForScore.

15. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    iPad Air2 and GuitarTab Pro.

16. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician, and Contractor to Club Bass and Guitar - Toronto
    Another thumbs-up for Band Helper. I've been using it, and its predecessor Set List Maker, for many years. It manages band members, gigs, set lists, lyrics, chords, documents, midi settings and much more for small $$'s. One subscription is good for an entire band of up to 5 members - additional members can be added for a small extra. I love it when the band leader decides in the middle of a set to call a song out of sequence on the set list. Since we set our pads as slaves, he just touches the song on his set list, and it pops up on all our pads.

I sometimes use charts that are prepared by my band mates, but often I want my own chart or some sheet music. With Band Helper that's no problem - when I select a song on the set list, my preferred chart or sheet comes up. Or if I decide on the spot to use the leader's chart I can select that. And I like my screen arranged differently that my band mates - not problem. Any change I make does not affect my mates' displays. My keyboard player loves it - when the leader selects a song on the set list the midi settings get automatically dumped to the keyboard. I'm starting to play around with signals that can be sent to the PA to control vocal effects on a song-by-song basis as soon as the song is selected on the set list.

As I am typing this I got an email from one of my band leaders. There is a change in the set list for tomorrow's gig. I fired up Band Helper - the change is already there automatically.

I have to go rehearse now. I'll use Band Helper because the audio files for each of the numbers is tied to the set list, so I can run the show and play along.

It runs on IOS or Android.

Yah I'm a fan. No other affiliation with Arlo Media.

ak56 and instrumentalist like this.
  17. mapleglo

mapleglo

Sep 7, 2013
    phoenix, az
    Our guitarist and singer use Bandhelper, and I just copy the set lists on to my iPod into Onsong. For some reason, I can't make notes in Bandhelper, so it's useless to me. I'm sure it has something to do with the setup. Neither of those guys really know how the app works, so it doesn't surprise me. Frustrating. The Drummer uses another app as well, as he can't figure out how to put tempos into Bandhelper. I'm not sure if that's even a function of the app.

18. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician, and Contractor to Club Bass and Guitar - Toronto
    It so easy to input tempos into BandHelper - you can tap it in or enter the number of beats per minute.
    Interestingly, I used to use OnSong before I discovered Band Helper. I found Band Helper to be so much more feature rich. I can't imagine using 3 different apps in one band - what a waste.

mapleglo likes this.
  19. mapleglo

mapleglo

Sep 7, 2013
    phoenix, az
    Yeah, it's crazy. I think its all about how BandHelper is set up. I'll have to look at it more deeply.