Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

tail piece saddles

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by matt macgown, Jun 29, 2004.

1. matt macgown

matt macgown Guest

Dec 1, 2003
    Chattanooga, TN
    I don't have a handle on what is the best tailpiece wire - I 've been carving a new tail for my bass, and would like to put the most solid stuff on it - make sure it stays on, sounds good. This is a good time to find out - before I get it finished!
    Opinions welcome.

2. B. Graham

B. Graham Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    I've been using Mike Pecanic's tailpiece cord for a while and am quite pleased with it. I've used the aircraft cable solution as well and it was fine, but I think the cord route allows more freedom of movement and made a sonic difference with my bass anyway.

3. The great majority of luthiers and players prefer to use a flexible multi-strand steel cable instead of solid wire. I use 3/32" stainless steel aircraft cable exclusively in my shop.

4. So manay people queue up here to praise either Pecanic's or Velvet's cord (which you tie on with a sort of boy scout knot :eek: ) that it makes a change to see an esteemed luthier hasn't jumped on the bandwagon. Have you tried it Bob? You're a man who keeps up to date with the latest and must have a reason for staying put - yes?

5. matt macgown

matt macgown Guest

Dec 1, 2003
    Chattanooga, TN
    Well - brother Dick, being something of an airplane builder, may be able to provide me with some of the aicraft cable. He's got a bodacious shop - enviable, actually - and is also providing some experimental soundposts, and asistance on my front wood. (a Maine feller). Ain't it nice to be retired? I get to do all the things I never had quite time enough to do - or at least some of 'em.

6. Yes, I have tried it multiple times. If there was any improvement to to actual sound in the same exact configuration as compared to using 3/32" aircraft cable, it was not apparent to me and IMO the price of the stuff totally outrageous. I think much of the perceived improvement is psychological or the result of other changes (such as changing the afterlength, etc) made at the same time may account for any apparent change. However, if someone thinks it works for them - I won't argue the point. If they are happy, that's all that counts.

7. As ever, thanks a lot Bob - I was thinking about it, my luthier thought it would make no difference but he hadn't tried it. As for getting the afterlength right by tying a knot as per Velvet - no thanks.