1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)
  2. The purpose of this forum is to solicit input on newsletter content.  Paul L. from Threadloom (threadloom_paul) is testing algorithms that will select threads to feature as "popular" in upcoming weekly emails.  He has access to this forum and will be posting here shortly.  Thanks! - Paul D.

Tal Wilkenfeld- And she can sing too!

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by MikeBass, Feb 8, 2011.

1. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Royal, Oak, MI.

C'Mon......why does she have to be able to sing good too....that's just not fair!!!!

2. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Too bad this wasn't recorded better. Tal is simply a great talent. The world is hers to take!:bassist:

3. ransombass

ransombass

Dec 16, 2008
    Tulsa, Ok
    +1

4. sleepytime

sleepytime

Nov 10, 2007
    Chicago, IL
    The piano player has no rug. What a tool.

5. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

very soulful performance ... she's a real talent .

6. I almost wish she was a dude...so I'd just have a complete man-crush. As it is, I'm in my 40's, so what I've got could be construed as kinda' sick. Of course...Vinnie makes me feel a little bit better. :D

Tongue-in-cheek, of course. Thanks for posting this, Mike. She is well north of awesome.

7. ransombass

ransombass

Dec 16, 2008
    Tulsa, Ok
    Herbie's Imagine Project is awsome through and through. There's another version of this live in Cork, Ireland with who looks to be James Genus on bass. After Herbie quits talking and the guitar player quits noodling.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2aoZ2tp-LJo

8. LilRay

LilRay Commercial User

Dec 27, 2007
    Between my Roscoe and Leather
    Owner: Cockeyed Cow Custom Leathercraft
    There's 8 years difference in age between Her and I. If that's sick (coughcoughcoughcoughAAAAAAAACCCCCCCHHHHHOOOO!!!!!!!) well........

:D

God Bless, Ray

9. Jim Dep

Jim Dep

Dec 30, 2009
    She sounded off key to me.

Nice vocal quality, but some vocal lessons needed to support the notes, IMHO.

I'd say "needs to sing more from the diaphragm", but you know somebody's going to take that the wrong way.:meh:

10. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Really? Where specifically did you think she was out of tune? Which notes weren't supported? Cause I sure didn't hear them.

11. fish552

fish552

Aug 1, 2010
    Oregon
    Get her album "Serendipity"
    Very amazing stuff!

12. Chrisk-K

Chrisk-K

Jan 20, 2010
    Maryland, USA
    She should've used Auto-Tune :bag:

13. jazznfusion

jazznfusion

Jan 12, 2011
    Connecticut

14. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    Is that an *OLD* Steve Martin reference? :p

15. That was my first thought as well. To borrow a quote from Randy Jackson, "it was a bit pitchy dawg".:D I may be a bit more critical than some on TB as I was doing vocal performances long before I took up bass. I do think overall she has a nice voice.

16. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    The young lady can definitely play bass, but she needs a lot more work in the singing department IMO.

IMO, Kristin Korb and Esperanza Spalding represent the current state of the art in female bassist/singer in the Jazz genre.

17. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Northern California
    She's definitely flat in a few places but she has some vocal talent. That said, she doesn't have the kind of pipes that would really make her a two way threat like the aforementioned Esperanza.

Still, she's a phenomenal young bass player who can sing a bit here and there. It's a nice facet to have as a musician.

18. ronlovbass

ronlovbass

Feb 9, 2011
    I loves her sound you feel it more than hear it.

19. jazznfusion

jazznfusion

Jan 12, 2011
    Connecticut
    Tal very rarely sings, its never been something she pursued. Esperanza has a completely different style of music altogether.

20. WOW-good posting